Recipe advice

SD == SessionDrummer

3 Likes

Did you get that post about my nic above to. Could you please advise on that. Many thanks

2 Likes

That’s 0.25ml or percent?

2 Likes

I understand you have a million questions Phil and it is totally acceptable and encouraged. You need to have a search on the forums there are plenty of opinions and posts on all the questions you are asking if you still have some after you have exhausted what is already on the forums shoot the question.

Saline 0.25%

I have never and will never use smooth so I cant help you there.

4 Likes

Same at max VG as 70/30 Dry

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the max VG yet

2 Likes

I’ll go with you mate. So it’s just normal saline solution from the Pharmacy. Thanks and I’ll do some research :+1:t3:

2 Likes

To be fair I’ve researched and created an Excellent tasting recipe of Baker’s Daughter. The only issue was dryness and I merely asked how to rid of dryness.

2 Likes

Make sure it is saline bp 0.9% injectable - there are other saline solutions that are used for eyewash and contact lens cleaner that have boric acid in the mix.

images

2 Likes

@Phil_Critch I like Addipaks because you only have to open a small amount at a time. Keeps the remaining stash unexposed to air, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Modudose-Saline-Solution-Inhalation-5257/dp/B002YRY3HI/

These are sterile, small individual doses, and are rated for inhalation.

4 Likes

@Phil_Critch

You should be using 0.9% saline, and how much you use is up to you. If you go too high you will get a salty taste. Start out low to get a feel for how it effects your mix. A drop or two per 10ml juice, and see what you get.

3 Likes

This recipe here:

I could have sworn I saw this here or elsewhere… can’t remember… but looking at your comments, you were pretty happy with this one. So…

From what I understand on cookie (it likes to be friends with graham cracker or ap) it can be a bit dry.
I would think on adding in marshmallow, no experience with the dx… maybe try another brand, or drop your amount to something more reasonable. Have you run your flavors in this recipe as solos? Meaning tasted them individually and see if you even like them there?
I would not use supersweet at 1%. one drop on your finger, go ahead and taste a drop, then think on that 1% you are adding.

for this one

Again, have you tried these flavors as solos and found where you like them to start and end with??

to me, it looks alright… its yet another bb cheesecake with ff and ss… why are you adding sweetener to all your juices? bb is sweet enough on it’s own… so is the cheesecake… I’d drop the sweetener you are using (its bad for you anyways) btw… your coils will be cleaner if you do and try a few drops of some dragon fruit. lemon always helps blueberry or grape pop…

none of the flavors you are using are “tank crackers” those are citrus flavors and can etch old school style tanks (or melt) and now days with the tanks etc out… it’s rarely heard of.

4 Likes

My issue was just that even without posting a recipe or flavors, you expected an answer and you showed you weren’t happy with the answer you received without even giving it a try. You also didn’t search the site because there are numerous topics talking about dryness and you didn’t post it in the specific thread for these issues, “Fix My Mix”. Even after people ask you what recipe it is, you said “a blueberry cheesecake”, which has basically no meaning without knowing the ingredients. Nobody here understands you if you say something “steeped enough” (which sounds more like it could really use a little longer). A quick google search (or even a search on this site) would’ve given you answers on your saline questions.
That’s why I said that a few basic concepts were missing. Now that you’ve posted your recipe and I read “Not suitable for sub ohm tanks due to max VG”, I can only affirm that I stand by the points I made.

So now a thank you for posting the recipes. I’m not familiar with White Chocolate (TPA) but none of the other flavors are exceptionally dry to me. What you do have to take into account is that a good few of those concentrates contain acetoin and acetyl propionyl. These should evaporate during the steep because they can be harsh when vaped. When mixing a max VG liquid, it needs a little more time too so how long do you steep your juices (and what volume are you steeping)? Do you take the caps off while steeping or just keeping them closed in a drawer? It’s all important info to deduct what is causing the issue. Have you tried making this as a 70/30 vg/pg ratio to see if there’s any difference? Sounds like an easier alternative than mixing up saline, but I’d give both a try and see how they compare.

Try some SFT’ing and looking at the range of use of your flavors. Some flavors can be dry at some % and not at higher or lower %.
If testing flavors seems like a daunting task, have a look at the DIY Vapor channel on youtube which will give you a lot of insight in testing flavors. It does take a little time, effort and probably a few extra bottles, but the wealth of knowledge you gain about your flavors is priceless.

7 Likes

I was criticized for taking tops off bottles when steeping the other day. I was advised to do so, therefore I’m getting numerous conflicting reviews

2 Likes

In respect of the Baker’s Daughter replica, you may have seen it in FB. I posted it there. The reason for the high sweetener, is the original is very sweet and a coil gunker. The flavour is spot on just had some dryness.
No I’ve not tried these flavours alone, yes it may require more steeping being max VG, but I was advised saline water can help with harshness.

In regards to sub ohm tanks, I was advised by my local vape shop, that max VG will eat through sub ohm coils quicker. Therefore, I listened to their advice, being new myself and them having more knowledge.

Your probably right with the sweetness on the Blueberry I will take note and lower it.

But the baker’s daughter will remain at that percentage, as I’ve had 2 lads at the vape shop and a friend state the replica is bang on. It is very sweet and wicking is needed daily. Heavy use maybe twice a day, but not me.

2 Likes

Yes tried at 70/30 and the dryness is the same to be fair on the baker’s daughter. It’s probably steeping or saline that’s required. Should I, or shouldn’t I leave the lids off. I’ve been advised to and not too. Which is correct???

2 Likes

Yeah will do :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I’m not criticising you for taking caps off or not, it’s just info that is important to know.
When you steep your liquids, those contents (like alcohols) that carry the flavor need to evaporate before you vape your liquids or you won’t get a vape that is very smooth. If you don’t air your bottles, you will need to leave some room for air in your bottles so that they can escape the liquid.

I know it’s not easy in the beginning because of conflicting messages. If in doubt, always test yourself to see what difference it makes. Different people have different experiences, different taste. Some are super tasters, others the opposite. In DIY you really have to make your hands dirty and try things yourself. In the end, you’re only trying to please yourself and what may work for someone else may not work for you.
In any case, I highly suggest you a) do single flavor tests and b) let things steep for a little longer and see where that gets you before you start adding all kinds of things to your liquids. Anything steeped less than 2 weeks is still prone to change. Times will only increase the higher the VG content in your liquid is.

4 Likes

Good luck!

Always do solos of all your flavors, as it makes putting recipes together much easier.
Take notes on what you taste…

As far as vg being harder on coils… no. it comes down to the sugars in your juice. From adding additional sweeteners and the flavors you use, if they have added ethyl maltol or even sweeteners (FW)… Sweetened juices do mess with coils, but it is not typicall harmful for tanks made for today’s usage.

Keep them how you have it, or change up… that is the fun of diy… :slight_smile:

Personally I know there are thousands of ways for even just one recipe. You could clear up that coil crust and still keep the taste, but youd have to use better flavors to do that… however, if you are happy with what you have, sure… keep them both as you have them.

4 Likes

As far as caps off… I would not.
Juices need their gasses in the bottle when you are mixing, so you get the full flavor.
Not to mention if you have pets, or a dusty house… I don’t want that kind of stuff in my juice… even for 15 min.

Sorry… quoted wrong post :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes