Shops We Have - Do You Have Them Too?

Continuing the discussion from Coronavirus:

It seems we all have some shops in common, but are they the same or different?

4 Likes

@Sevencasper I didn’t mean to have it jump threads. I’ve seen the shelves here filling up again so I got really curious as to which states in America had stopped travel across state lines. When you said Kmart I could have swore you were talking about the US.

4 Likes

We have Kmart - cheap clothes, homewares, outdoor items…

Woolworths- aka Woolies - supermarket
Coles - Supermarket

Krispy Kreme - donuts (reasonably new)

Walmart - we don’t have - please explain?? :laughing:

4 Likes

@Sevencasper, It gets confusing trying to figure out what’s happening continentally when they have the same store names.

4 Likes

It’s interesting Doug,
Just figured we shouldn’t derail… :laughing:

4 Likes

@Sevencasper Walmart is a huge version of Kmart (if the Kmart’s you have are owned by Sears).
Woolworths left America a long time ago but it wasn’t a supermarket, it was more of a pharmacy. Krispy Kreme is the same I imagine.
Walmart sells food, clothes, electonics, housewares, shoes, office supplies, sporting goods, and a lot more.

4 Likes

It’s ok. You had me panicking thinking certain states weren’t allowing for interstate travel anymore. There is discussion of it being a real possibility with the pandemic right now. They are trying to convince people not to do so but there isn’t any ban or curfews in effect about state lines here. Not yet anyway.

And I thought buying up tons of toilet paper was an American phenomena alone. Now that is odd…

4 Likes

I would bet that your government would not let the Waltons implement their parasitic “medicine show” (exploiting their employees to the point of requiring them to be highly dependent on public assistance programs, paying little or no taxes, and not contributing a dime of their own vast wealth to philanthropy) - instead (much like Trumps) using other peoples’ money to fabricate an illusion that they are generous. Following all of that “usury”, they have the nerve to run TV ads fashioning themselves as “egalitarians”.

3 Likes

@Raven-Knightly

Are you suggesting these aid packages should never have occurred? The #'s on the stock market would ratchet south a lot faster if the American citizen wasn’t bailed out for once. The colapse of banking alone from all the upside down debt in this country would send the stock market off a cliff…

it’s not smart to slap the hand that feeds you.

2 Likes

Walmart has the money to get away with it. What’s sick is a lot of their revenue comes from the SNAP program too…

3 Likes

Woolworths here are one of the major conglomerate supermarket chains, they also operate Big W (another discount store same as our K-mart), BWS (liquor), Petrol stations and have moved into insurance, phones and more.

Coles:
Formerly known as Coles Myer Ltd. from 1985 to 2006, Coles Group was owned by Western Australian conglomerate Wesfarmers from 2007 until 2018, when it was spun-off, with it once again listed as an independent public company on the Australian Stock Exchange, containing Coles Supermarkets, Coles Online, Coles Express, Coles’ liquor division, Coles’ financial division and a half-share in FlyBuys, with former assets Kmart, Target and Officeworks remaining subsidiaries of Wesfarmers.[3]

As reference above, our Kmart is a subsidiary of Wesfarmers:
Bunnings Warehouse, Officeworks, Officeworks BusinessDirect, Harris Technology, Kmart, Target, Catch.com.au, Curragh Queensland Mining, Bengalla Mining Company*, Koukia*, Blackwoods, Bakers, Total Fasteners, Bullivants, Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety NZ, CSBP, Workwear Group, Australian Gold Reagents*, Kleenheat, Unigas*, Coregas, Gresham Partners Group*, Wespine Industries*

3 Likes

@Sevencasper

They really made a run on toilet paper in Australia too??? I never thought that in a pandemic that would be the first thing to disappear off the shelves. Funny how the apocalyptic movies have it all wrong. In a movie like that, if the toilet paper was the first thing to be horded, people would think the film wasn’t true to life.

3 Likes

Those three conglomerates pretty much cover the market!

2 Likes

ok, Kmart and Target are probably the same here too. The rest of the list is totally unfamiliar.

3 Likes

(IMO), simply a practical matter of “covering one’s backside”. I stocked a bit, too. Some of us plebians are quite surely not nearly in a tax-bracket swank enough to dip our bulbous bums in “bidets” ! … :clown_face:

3 Likes

when you start showing me which tree your getting your leaves from… You’re in my tax bracket then lmao

4 Likes

Yeah :laughing: I actually thought it started here first but I wasn’t really watching the news until I started hearing about it.

I think it’s the sheeple that have it wrong :laughing:

3 Likes

Now you have me wondering…
What’s being horded in other countries???

3 Likes

But surely not enough to fill the back of your truck, like some were here, trolleys full at a time! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Probably info in this post: (nearer the top?)
https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/panic-in-the-streets/238575/447

3 Likes