SMOK TFV4 Review: The pinnacle of tanks!

This was from a search on 316L safety. Should include but 317L and 304L as well

Chromium: The toxicity of Chromium is dependent on its’ oxidation state. Chromium metal is relatively non-toxic. If metal is heated to high temperatures, as in welding, fumes produced may be toxic to the lungs. Under high temperatures, hexavalent chromium may be produced. If in insoluble form, it is designated a confirmed human carcinogen. Other health effects include nasal irritation and possible kidney and liver damage. Chromite dust may also cause skin ulceration, dermatitis and allergic skin reactions.

OSHA - hexavalent chromium

It is clear that there are dangers with Chromium when heated. Welding with 316L produces fumes that are dangerous but the metals are at the melting point. Also Chromium Hot Plating will produce these fumes (Possibly acids involved rather than extreme temperatures BUT DON’T KNOW). So the answer I’m looking for is how much heat (What Temperature) does Chromium become dangerous by giving off fumes. This is what we need to know…

1 Like

Good information ring. I think there is plenty of science out there but little to none relating to a vaping application. What I would love to see is a graduating scale that shows what types of chemical releases occur over a range of temperatures. It could be that we can’t get these metals hot enough to cause any problems, or it could be that people are sticking things to their mouths that 10 years from now will have them growing an extra pair of tonsils or something. Just don’t know.

1 Like

I’m thinking under normal vaping use this is true. I think it is safe to say that no matter the metal there will be fumes that are unsafe to breath when that metal is heated to the melting point. Common sense would be enough to tell you that. Any impurities would begin to burn off and thus produce carcinogens in the burning process. Nuff said…

1 Like

Alrighty, so first things first I was off with that midnight post and I apologize for hijacking the thread. Yes, all these wires contain chromium and chromium is bad, although I did forget that kanthal contained chromium. . .I am quite familiar with steels. That said, what I had in my head was cadmium. Now, assuming I can post a link, I will post a link below to a site that has the vapor pressure versus temperature for various metals. All things have a vapor pressure and it basically means how much of a given material can be released into the atmosphere at a given temperature. If you look at the table, cadmium has a really high vapor pressure at really low temperatures. That means a lot of it can be in the air at relatively low temperatures. Old refrigerator coils used to be coated in cadmium (not chromium) and people would unknowingly turn them into grills or fire grates. . .and burn all that cad of into the atmosphere and or their food.

For the most part our coils shouldn’t get much above the boiling point of PG, which is about 380F (we know they go hotter, I’m just saying MUCH hotter) so no appreciable chromium should be coming off any of the wires used for vaping. That said, I am still switching to titanium. . .when I first started vaping I chose kanthal consciously for reasons I no longer remember and had it in my head that it was chrome free.

I’m sorry for the misleading info on chromium, I retract it and replace with the following link to metal vapor pressure curves:
http://www.powerstream.com/vapor-pressure.htm

3 Likes

But have four times the followers that Phil Bussardo has. Hevis the biggest of doing what he do on youtube.

Getting tons of dry hits on this tank, triple coil and quad coil both. 70/30 or 80/20 liquid, it doesn’t matter. I run the quad at 110watts and triple at 100watts. I want to love this tank so bad, but the dry hits are horrible. I never let the tank get less than half full ever. Any ideas?

Did you ever not have dry hits with it? I ask because these stock coils require quite a bit more priming than say Atlantis coils or something comparable. If they weren’t properly primed it could be they got scorched and it may take a while to get rid of that flavor if ever. If you’re only getting dry hits though…no clue.

Also I used my triple coils when I first got the tank but only ran it up to about 80 watts. Never a dry hit, not one.

1 Like

they hold about a ml of juice alone it could be exactly this???

prime it so much i suck juice first couple hits. didn’t get any dry hits first tank or two. Had a heracles for 6 months and never a dry hit running it at 80watts. i got the tfv4 for more power than that.

In that case I can’t be any help except to suggest maybe your juice is clogging the channels where it flows into the atty. As I said I only used the one triple head and it still had a ton of life in it when I replaced it with the dual RBA. Haven’t and won’t look back :slight_smile: Just nothing like building your own…in my opinion of course.

2 Likes

I can only suggest that maybe a vacuum issue… I’ve never had trouble with even the thickest juice… and now I only rebuild w To for tc on the rebuildable?

Dry hit, no juice. Take a needle and carefully create a small tunnel into the cotton at the fill holes of the coil.l

1 Like

I’ve only used the double (TF-Ti), triple and sextuple coil - no dry hits at all. One juice was 90% VG. I mostly use the TF-R2 rebuildable deck though…

1 Like

if i hit it once then wait 5-10 minutes, it’s ok. But I only get 1 good hit

1 Like

Dry hit, no juice. Take a needle and carefully create a small tunnel into the cotton at the fill holes of the coil.l

1 Like

On the quad coil, there is no cotton at the fill holes. But check this out, when I unscrew the top back and forth, all kinds of bubble are coming out of the coil. This leads me to believe it is a vacuum problem.

1 Like

I think I said that hear

1 Like

Are you keeping the washer under the fill cap aligned with the fill hole or moving it to cover that hole? Aside from that I can’t fathom vacuum being an issue with this tank. It’s not the most air tight thing in the world but I guess anything is possible. You can’t even close off the air all the way with this thing. Hmmm. I hope you get it figured out. Maybe a bad batch of coils?

1 Like

So, after my 3rd coil(2nd triple coil), i’m 3 tanks in and it hits perfect wtf. Maybe first two coils were bad, i don’t know. Running it at 120 watts, no dry hits, vapes perfect. Hopefully this was a case of bad coils. Thanks for everyones input.

3 Likes

Glad you got it sorted out. :+1:

1 Like