Stevia quick question

Can I use this ??? I was thinking of putting it in VG bc it says it contains Erythritol …but can I even do that ???

3 Likes

Warning, may contain Urethra

4 Likes

At the end is erythritol, so it goes fairly well with fruits, can’t see it’ll hurt. But probably you’ll have to sort out how to blend it, as far as I remember, you already tried that didn’t you??? :rofl:

4 Likes

With some things okay to eat; but not good for vaping…I myself would like to first know what those “natural flavors” listed in the ingredients are.

5 Likes

Yes I have used a 70pct Erythritol 30pct Stevia blend but I’m out of both and figure I could use this since it has both already …i rarely use sweetener so hate buying it lol

4 Likes

Be safe… @fidalgo_vapes

5 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes I am STILL far from the Stevia expert, but I know who DOES know Steiva …

@ozo

5 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes the packet is hard to read but I would make sure that there are no other bulking agents in there.

The main issue you are going to run into is that erythritol doesn’t stay dissolved in pg for a long time and stevia is easier to dissolve in pg so it may be a task to get it all dissolved and stay dissolved.

Aside from that, I can’t really think of any other aside from the erythritol/ratio and the natural flavours that have already been mentioned.

7 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes I’m concerned about those “natural flavors” too.

This is what I’m using now, pure reb-a extract powder. One flattened scoop = 0.5g, mixed in 9.5g Distilled Water to make a 5% dilution. 3-5 drops (or less!) per 30ml makes it awesome.

This is a lifetime supply for ~$12!

6 Likes

I just hate the taste… it’s just me… I’m weird and accept me for me! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Alright the verdict seems to be NO lol …i was more curious than anything …Thank you everyone for the replies

4 Likes

Have you tried the isolated REB-A? It’s the tasty sweet part of the Stevia plant without the bitter, weird parts.

5 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes, @anon84779643 I was just to to ask this ^^^.

4 Likes

I can not comment on that… I have played with sugars sweeteners and most mess up my mouth.
by that, I mean if I sweeten my ejuice, it plays games with my tongue and nothing tastes right till I can get rid of the sweet mess in my mouth… takes a few days. I am too sensitive to sweeteners.

5 Likes

It’s melting-point (from a solid) is reported as being ~121.5 C. It is very soluble in water, slightly so in ethanol. Found little data regarding solubility in glycols (PG, VG). (Perhaps) it might form “crystal islands” in glycols ?

The (Stevia extract) source, S. rebaudiana leaves reportedly contain variable amounts of the two sweet-tasting components (Stevioside and Rebaudioside A, representing a combined total of 7% - 14% by weight).

… submissions from several countries showed that the main components of the commercially available extracts of stevia are stevioside and rebaudioside A, in various amounts ranging from about 10-70% stevioside and 20-70% rebaudioside A. The information indicated that most commercial products contained more than 90% steviol glycosides with the two main steviol glycosides comprising about 80% of the material. …

… Rebaudioside A from Genetically Modified Yarrowia lipolytica is is obtained from the fermentation of a non-toxigenic non-pathogenic strain of Yarrowia lipolytica that is genetically modified with heterologous genes from multiple donor organisms to overexpress steviol glycosides. After removal of the biomass by solid-liquid separation and heat treatment, the process involves concentration of the steviol glycosides (e.g. by resin adsorption), followed by purification of the rebaudioside A by crystallization and drying. Ion exchange resins may be used in the purification process. The final product may be spray-dried.

The melting point of Rebaudioside A being (the relatively high temp of) 242 - 244 C, solubility seems key.

Stevia-derived ingredients, particularly those with higher purity levels, face solubility challenges in aqueous solutions. While crude stevia leaf extracts may be water soluble, when the steviol glycosides from the leaf extract are purified, the steviol glycosides become difficult to solubilize and maintain in solution. Purified steviol glycoside extracts have water solubility values that typically range from 0.05% to 1 % (w/w) at room temperature, and are difficult to maintain in clear solution form for extended periods of time. … There is a need, therefore, to provide a steviol glycoside solution that can be used in liquid form and remain stable over time and under various conditions. … SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION: … The process of the invention includes the steps of providing a steviol glycoside, combining it with a polyol, such as propylene glycol, optionally heating the combination with agitation, and then cooling the combination to result in the liquid steviol glycoside ingredient. The liquid steviol glycoside ingredient is a clear solution that is stable for an extended period of time under varying conditions. In certain embodiments, the liquid steviol glycoside ingredient is a visibly clear solution stable for at least 45 days.

4 Likes

Me too, and my first delve into the Stevia was met with, ummm, errrrr, rejection LOL. Then I heard about the Reb variant(s) and it played pretty nice with my testy taste buds.

4 Likes

Me too! Rejected!! Have to find Rebs and try again, not easy to find… Percentages?

2 Likes

If I use anything, its the yeah,… Flavorah sweetness… and I rarely go over .12% and even then I can taste it… I’m just the odd duck when it comes to sweets… I think its why I had picked up Marshmallow Man… they loaded it with super sweet, and I am just now getting my taste buds back… nasty crap… :cry:

4 Likes

This is an issue I’m working on. Distilled Water is not keeping it clear. Little floaties in there after a few days. It tastes great and has no bitey aftertaste, but clarity of the solution seems to be an issue.

I’m going to try a mix with low percent (3% for starters) of Ethyl Alcohol, also going to try Saline solution and a combo of all three for a VG dilutant/flavor carrier with added purpose(salinity, throat hit and sweetness), for those with a need for Zero PG in their mixes.

I have lots of work to do on this. I’ll likely open a new thread to get some community input soon. Just want to start testing first.

4 Likes

You may want to try adding bit of apple cider vinegar or citric acid (or both) if your little floaties are bacteria a ph of less than 4.5 will kill most (not all) bacteria.

5 Likes