The Elusive Honey Bun

I have the cornbread, was thinking that it should be turned into banana nut bread LOL I don’t have the frosting yet either … but I’m going to grab that and ooo powdered sugar.

3 Likes

Hey Fish, yeah I was just following the ingredients listed on the box of the honey bun not sure why there was cocoa in there LOL

3 Likes

This will be fun to watch.
It’s been a while since I’ve eaten one. But as I recall it is sweet and fried, and VERY yeast-ey.
I don’t know how you could make it without cinnamon. Just a hint though. Isn’t there a pastry flavoring like the Danish swirl mentioned above that could be used at a low percentage and at least hint at cinnamon?
Also, I haven’t tasted my frosting from flv in a while but isn’t that more like a creamy butter frosting?
I would think it would be more powdered sugar and grease.
I’ll have to get one tomorrow.
Take it apart by flavor in my mouth.
Some great suggestions in the comments.

5 Likes

Unless a miracle happens in steeping the sweet dough and cupcake batter are not the answer LOL

3 Likes

I’m seriously thinking powdered sugar too … I have it in my cart

3 Likes

I’m going to see if marshmallow might be a flavor that’s hiding in there. Also, i like (I think it was) Fidalgo’s idea of building a bakery base. Get TJAT out of the way and then build on it with the other ideas.

5 Likes

yeah that’s a real problem. From what I remember (and I’m diabetic so it’s been a hot minute) it was almost a dry cake base with a super sweet glaze on top.

4 Likes

A recipe like this is going to need to be done in two stages imo the first is getting the bread right and within that bread you can definitely have some things that help both the pastry and the glaze… Almost any heavy pastry recipe is going to need a long steep …The way flavors meld together into the base ( VG and PG ) jasnt changed …

5 Likes

I just ate one and the bread is like those long mapme bars , fluffy , airy a bit moist nothing dry from what im tasting… These types of bready based recipes are difficult to say the least …this is going to many Versions

5 Likes

Like I said it’s been a hot minute… I’ll have to wait until my blood sugar is really low and sneak a bite again LOL Back before cinnamon actually made me cough, I remember using Baked cinnamon roll from OSDIY for this.

4 Likes

What are you getting from the sweet dough ??? I have it coming along with OOO cornbread , WF pretzel , Cap funnel cake , OOO vanilla cheescake amd a couple other bread type flaves that I can’t temmeber…

Can you see way Sweet dough and Joy do together ??

5 Likes

It’s got some sort of sweet caramel taste to me maybe darker than caramel?

4 Likes

I was going to buy the cap funnel cake but I saw in the notes that it liked to fade?

4 Likes

That sounds like a great starting point…

4 Likes

It’s really bad to be wishing my blood sugar would drop to taste this again LOL I’ll be back tomorrow. We’re getting lightning here and I want to shut down my computer

4 Likes

Om not sure …Im hoping ot will give the sweet dough a fried greasy aspect and maybe Joy will add the yeast part…these are just things in my head…Sweet dough and Funnel cake will be new for me

4 Likes

Ya i have to get some morw sleep to lol , im waiting to see a what fishaddict.( Stupid auto correct )is typing first

4 Likes

Maybe you pulled the ingredients for a chocolate glazed one lol…I think joy will be an important flavor for this mix, and if you pick up that ooo powdered sugar then mixing it and flv frosting 0.5% each would be a good starting point probably, I go 1% powdered sugar and 0.5% frosting in my mixes that need an icing, but I’m looking for a heavily powdered sugar flavored glaze, and iirc honeybuns icing doesn’t taste that heavy…

I think the honey note is gonna be the hardest flavor to nail down really, if I was making the bread base I would use joy, maybe some yellow cake and zeppola, both low, and i would go a little heavier on the joy than normal because it has a little bit of grease to it at and above 1%, but I also don’t get the stale beer note from joy that most people seem to. If you happen to have rfsc elephant ear it has a grease type mouthfeel that would work well too.

If yellow cake and zeppola didn’t work then I would try ooo glazed donut fairly low with some yellow cake and rely on the joy again. Good luck! I might have to play around with this, I’ll be doing some mixing tomorrow probably.

4 Likes

Yes the Ooo powdered sugar is aother I ordered today

4 Likes

It’s amazing lol

4 Likes