The Elusive Honey Bun

This isnt going to be needed…The Honey in a honey bun is just the name , I think bc the glaze is sticky and wet they called it honey lol…im going to avoid Honey like I have for the past few years ( in vaping )

4 Likes

That’s interesting, maybe the name has informed my memory of the taste lol I haven’t had one in years

4 Likes

I almost grabbed this but thought I have WF and thats supposed to be pretty good…Is this OOO different than all others??? I was talking to lukeloop and hes thinking the Ooo cornbread will help with density

4 Likes

They arent that great , im just intrigued with the recipe amd think I can pull it off in time lol…i started working on it yesterday after the develiped show so was excited to see a thread

4 Likes

Ooo glazed donut is really close to a Krispy Kreme, I have just started playing with donuts outside of making bronuts a lot when I first started mixing, haven’t tried any other donuts and probably won’t lol zeppola and ooo have my needs covered

4 Likes

That’s why I haven’t had one in years lol bottom of my list for gas station sweets

4 Likes

I agree…Also it’s such a plain tasting pastry that maybe a glazed donut , custard , frosting with a lot of sucralose will work …maybe a touch of bakers touch

It may be one of those things that doesn’t vape like it tastes…like Cheesecake

4 Likes

Possibly, and some joy if it’s lacking yeast after trying that

4 Likes

All though we can emulate texture , its never the same so some real foods will never translate into a vape form…

5 Likes

Don’t get me started on cheesecake lol I love it so much in real life, gave up on a vape version a while back though

5 Likes

Yes …i think JOY which im not a fan of will have to be in this …i made a bread base last night it was meh then I added .25pct of joy and that transformed the recipe completely in a good way

5 Likes

I have more private cheescake recipes than recipes all together I think lmao…alright my friend signing out Good Night

4 Likes

Imo, Frosting is far better than CCI. I get a strong artificial taste from the latter at various levels.

5 Likes

same here but taste is so different, i won’t say one is better than the other. that aside, they’re just so different. CCI is a cream cheese frosting while FLV’s frosting is more like a caramel like glaze. It’s apples and oranges and both have very different uses.

6 Likes

I’ve never had nor seen a honey bun so I had to look up what it is

I imagined something totally different :rofl: but it kinda looks like a donut dough. I thought it would’ve been more like a cinnabun but with honey instead.

If you guys would post a little more pics and info with your requests, it would make life so much easier for all of us that don’t live in the US.

This is a cinnabon and has a different type of dough
I know these and they’re incredibly good if you like a bit of cinnamon and loads of sugar :rofl:

So coming back to the OP… some kind of glazed donut and cinnamon roll (or cinnamon danish) and milk and honey or some other light honey is what I imagine it to be. The question is just which ones.
Mix up a couple versions and see where it gets you. There are so many different options besides CAP glazed donut. I’d first try and get the dough base right before thinking about adding joy or powdered sugar or even honey. I could be wrong but I don’t know of any FA flavor that would get you close for the dough.

4 Likes

And after @anon28032772 description… I might just try some “Old Style” type of mixing, we haven’t got Honey Buns in EU so anything could do or could be. :crazy_face: But to stay on the profile:

CAP Funnel Cake @1.3 or lower
FA Joy @.4
FA Zeppola @1.5

Without any mindboggling thoughts, pretty straight forward.
As @fidalgo_vapes said might not even be able to recreate that taste, so we might as well work on the profile/idea, throw some sugar and frosting on that and off ye go…

4 Likes

Fried dough flv .4% and sweet dough .6% along with a touch of graham cracker for the edges, a touch of eggnog… I would also add in some popcorn for the touch of buttery bread… I wouldn’t use ooo pwdered sugar… its just not the right type… FA joy… out (fried dough has better control over the yeast and the grease) due to the powdered sugar effect… I would use frosting and sugar orchid, keeping so at .12% [3 drops per 30ml] as a thickener to the frosting… I would also add in some lemon .4% milk and honey would be .4%, as well as 1 drop rich cinnamon. Pastry zest .12% for the granular effect on the bottom of the honey bun… and call it done. honey buns are light, fluffy and most the time… stale.

Sometimes over thinking a recipe can warp what should be kept simple as this is not food but something you are inhaling. Again… solo taste testing will help you here if you are unfamiliar with the flavors and aren’t too scared to try it.

6 Likes

Your not supposed to buy them opened lol…Im nkt a big honey bun eater but the box I bought was pretty fresh …

6 Likes

As you saw the fried/sweet dough layer was also one of my thoughts, but I’ve never tasted one of those… and don’t know how greasy/sweet they are, I don’t even eat sweets anyway I just sometime vape them, so it’s just a guess.

It was fidalgo and me who suggested frosting and sugar orchid in the chat… we’ve got “muted” :joy:

5 Likes

You don’t buy them by the box, you grab them from the circle k’s or other gas stations, one at a time! :stuck_out_tongue:
Stale is the normal for around here, not my fav. :wink:

the king of donuts here… sad to say… is dunkin donuts… unless you try my version… and I prefer the powdered sugar and loads of cinnamon donuts. I have 3 pans to make small and large donuts with… :stuck_out_tongue:

They aren’t too much “greasy” but more so than a regular donut… :slight_smile: The frosting/icing on them vary from a thick white in color… cinnamon roll icing, to a honey icing glaze… depends on which brand someone left sitting on the shelves… the boxes here stay full… not many buy them here.

It’s one of my fav combos… but I would keep the frosting at .4%-.6% or its just sweet and can mute… SO tho… I keep a 4oz of both. Sugar orchid… gum paste… the stuff they make flowers on cakes with… it can be used as a thickener, as a sweet, as a meringue, and as a pasty almond type… then it craps out…

“muted” ha… :smiley:

4 Likes