The endless Sweetener Topic

Hi everyone,

I’m using Ethylmaltol to bring sweetness a bit higher. I know many will say It will dampening the flavor… So I ramp up aroma % a bit atm. Someone has other recommendations besides Sucralose? Sucralose kills my coils way to quickly besides the health aspects of course.

Thanks for your inputs!

4 Likes

Have you tried Stevia ??

8 Likes

FA Meringue can be used to add some sweetness, Marshmallow from various flavor makers too. They can also add more mouthfeel.

EM can mute but when used low it is minimal so use it if you like it. 0.50% isn’t gonna hurt anything IMO unless one of the flavors you are using also contains EM like TPA Strawberry.

I have heard that FLV Sweetness doesn’t contain sucralose but I don’t know for sure.

Like @fidalgo_vapes mentioned Stevia might be something for you to try. Some also use ethyritol in conjunction with Stevia if they get that bit of bitterness some people taste.

9 Likes

FLV sweetness works for me but I rarely need sweetener in my own mixes.
I avoid any sugars, they clog coils and are potentially toxic when heated.

7 Likes

Sucralose used in moderation shouldn’t gunk up coils. I’ve used 1 drop per 10ml and had no problems. Nowadays I look at recipes with ingredients that are sweet on their own. As mentioned above meringue, marshmallow, brown sugar. I stopped using EM years ago when I found out some key ingredients already use it in their formulas. Strawberry Ripe (TPA) for example.

8 Likes

Personally, I’ve found that just upping the overall flavor on the sweeter flavors in your recipe helps cut down on putting additional sweetener.
Example: If you have blueberry, and candy… Rather than mixing some and adding sweetener to make it sweeter… up the % on the blueberry, and maybe a super minor increase in hard candy. I personally found above 12% on a 3MG freebase makes flavors muddle as well, I average 10% on any flavor, 6ish% on the main fruit, more if its the only fruit.
If the flavor just isn’t that sweet, consider finding another one, and using both to tone up the parts you like in them. There is always a way to make it work WITHOUT sweetener, you just need to make that a goal. (It will be harder on some profiles, but doable on most)

My juices so far have all come out relatively clear (fruity and candies for me) and taste strong and delicious, as well as taking quite some time to kill a coil.

8 Likes

Welcome and happy you joined.

6 Likes

This is an interesting read about sweeteners, according to Wayne FW and FLV are pretty much the same?

7 Likes

I agree. A friend of mine vapes my Rockstar energy juice that contains 0.50% Super Sweet and loves it because his coils go 2 weeks easy with that juice. The mix comes out super clear, looks like a bottle of PG. I guess that is why it vapes so clean. I can’t remember the exact ingredients but it is modeled off this

51dW1iqv3vL

Tangerine Mango Guava Strawberry, I know CAP Sweet Tangerine, maybe SC Mango, CAP Sweet Guava and not sure on the strawberry but yeah, none of those flavors adds any color to the mix and it burns clean, definitely not a gunker with the 0.50% Super Sweet in it

8 Likes

No I didn’t tried Stevia yet in my liquids. I use that for my Home made ice tea tho :rofl: can you buy it as liquid with PG for that purpose?

4 Likes

Thanks for the hint. I also use Ethylmaltol in small dosages max. 0.5% but sucralose I have the feeling that it makes the throat scratchy after some time as well while you vape it… Not sure I might have a smaller allergic reaction to it or of thats normal.

4 Likes

Grrrrr sounds like this is something for me as well. gonna add this recipe for sure :slight_smile: cheers!

4 Likes

I don’t normally use added sweetener unless someone asks for it. The sweetener I use is called Sugar Daddy and it was created by a fellow DIYer (can’t remember who).

They are starting to sell it all over now and if your not in the States you might look around. It is probably the best sweetener for not gunking up your coils as quick.

You can find some good info by typing sweetener into the search bar.

Good luck.

7 Likes

That would be a good Canadian by the name of Rick Laporte. :maple_leaf:

5 Likes

You can mix your own if you’re inclined, this post may help:

5 Likes

Did someone tried Neotam as sweetener so far? I saw it already many times in shops… Chemically it should be more resilient than sucralose on high temperatures…

4 Likes

I use “Now Foods Stevia Glycerite”. It’s Organic Stevia in VG and requires no refrigeration. One bottle will last years (one -> two drops in a 30ml). Google to see if available. Sucralose is popular because it tastes closest to sugar and is cheap in bulk (for Commercial juice). @Dan_the_Man you like the Sugar Daddy? Ever try Stevia?

5 Likes

Any aftertaste? All Stevia’s I’ve tried had an aftertaste I didn’t care for, some worse than others.

3 Likes

Not in my eliquid but I have tried to use it in place of my sugar addiction but was bitter and I didn’t like it. I do like the sound of it already being in VG

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply… Thanks for the tip! I shall look into it. I’m testing Neotam at the moment and it really is a good alternative to sucralose. After 2 weeks vaping the same coils… no gunk at all. But stevia might be the best option. Neotam also had no after taste.

3 Likes