The endless Sweetener Topic

No I didn’t tried Stevia yet in my liquids. I use that for my Home made ice tea tho :rofl: can you buy it as liquid with PG for that purpose?

4 Likes

Thanks for the hint. I also use Ethylmaltol in small dosages max. 0.5% but sucralose I have the feeling that it makes the throat scratchy after some time as well while you vape it… Not sure I might have a smaller allergic reaction to it or of thats normal.

4 Likes

Grrrrr sounds like this is something for me as well. gonna add this recipe for sure :slight_smile: cheers!

4 Likes

I don’t normally use added sweetener unless someone asks for it. The sweetener I use is called Sugar Daddy and it was created by a fellow DIYer (can’t remember who).

They are starting to sell it all over now and if your not in the States you might look around. It is probably the best sweetener for not gunking up your coils as quick.

You can find some good info by typing sweetener into the search bar.

Good luck.

7 Likes

That would be a good Canadian by the name of Rick Laporte. :maple_leaf:

5 Likes

You can mix your own if you’re inclined, this post may help:

5 Likes

Did someone tried Neotam as sweetener so far? I saw it already many times in shops… Chemically it should be more resilient than sucralose on high temperatures…

4 Likes

I use “Now Foods Stevia Glycerite”. It’s Organic Stevia in VG and requires no refrigeration. One bottle will last years (one -> two drops in a 30ml). Google to see if available. Sucralose is popular because it tastes closest to sugar and is cheap in bulk (for Commercial juice). @Dan_the_Man you like the Sugar Daddy? Ever try Stevia?

5 Likes

Any aftertaste? All Stevia’s I’ve tried had an aftertaste I didn’t care for, some worse than others.

3 Likes

Not in my eliquid but I have tried to use it in place of my sugar addiction but was bitter and I didn’t like it. I do like the sound of it already being in VG

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply… Thanks for the tip! I shall look into it. I’m testing Neotam at the moment and it really is a good alternative to sucralose. After 2 weeks vaping the same coils… no gunk at all. But stevia might be the best option. Neotam also had no after taste.

3 Likes

I update this… Neotam test is done, for the coils it’s super good… Still there are the health concerns regarding its similarities to aspartame make it less attractive. Today i will make some erythritol soluting in 100% VG. Someone has experience with it? I heard it has a slight cooling effect? What % are you guys using? I’m planning to mix a 5-10% VG Solution to use 1-1.5% in a base.

2 Likes

Maybe some update as well regarding stevia. It looks like heating up stevia to specific temperatures can cause toxic vapors so this might be tested with caution. The latest hope for me is Erythritol. I’ll report about it again as soon as I mixed the stuff

2 Likes

Small update… Today was cooking day. Due to the information I gathered here I tried to push the limits… I got now a 80vg/20et emulsion cooling down. Warmed it up gently inside a lab glas with the microwave to reach those 121C melting degrees for the ET. It completely dissolved. Had to put it into a second glas and reheat it once more so I got rid of the left over crystals which where stuck on the first glas. Now the liquid is 100% clear and is not crystalizing after reaching colder temps. Let’s see how it vapes.

3 Likes

Another Update. Sadly 20% where to optimistic. After cooling crystals showed up in the solution. Looked like over saturated. So I reduced to 10% and cooled it down once more for a.longer time on a really cool place. And… No more crystals. 10% solution is super sweet. Tried some drops on the lips. I will mix some liquids now with that 10% solution and given you guys some feedback. On the lips i didn’t had any artificial tastes or cooling effect which you would get eating the unprocessed ET crytals. Promising so far.

1 Like

Is that the same as Rick’s?

2 Likes

Very good question, since I couldn’t find any info what sweet agent is used there i highly doubt it since it is the least cost effective to produce. My goal was having a sweetener which can withstand high temperatures and is good for the coils and lungs.

3 Likes

I’m not much help because generally I don’t use sweetener but Rick’s Sugar Daddy is popular. It does have ethyl maltol though so can mute flavors. I am looking at one for a particular recipe and will prolly go with FLV Sweetness. It’s supposed to be pretty clean.

2 Likes

Yea i used Maltol as well… I actually tested every sweetener allowed in germany for vaping. This one seemed the best choice even if it’s more complicated to make because it doesn’t mute flavours it actually enhances them as far is i was reading. And it’s chemical properties are really good for such a usage. So I will give this a try. I just saw none company in the US offering a 5% solution for this purpose. I’m now at 10% so not bad. I just made sure i use GMO free erythritol. Bought 1kg for like ~10 USD over amazon. Which is quiet cheap imo and I use it to sweet my teas and coffee as well.

3 Likes

Erythritol also leaves a similar sweet taste on the lips like sucralose does as far as I know. Thats not what I was looking for but for some people this is the reason they love sweet liquids so much.

3 Likes