To Squonk or Not to Squonk.... Question Answered

Thank you both! That’s tremendously helpful. I’ve not seen that Ohm’s law calculator, before. I typically just buy the best priced batteries with good reviews/buzz at the highest mAh I can find, and stick with em. But I have to say… I’ve been on 18650 mods now for a good 5 years I just used what I had, replaced as they died, and got a bit lazy with it… so this 21700 will be my first foray into ‘new’ battery land in a good while. Bout dang time I learned some of this schtuff.

lol @nicomanteno It was totally a group effort, and your input was super helpful. ty ty!

@woftam ty for the link! I’ll pin that sucker right now, so I can get the goodies when Im stocking up.

6 Likes

u really should get at least a basic understanding especially if your logic is to buy the highest amp hour batteries for a vape device. Remember that li-ion batteries are used for other things where high amps arent an issue and offer high amp hours. As @woftam explained the battery balances between either high mah or high amps and its best to find the suited for your style.

5 Likes

Two quick points of note!

First, you’re going to get maximum life out of your batteries if you run them from “full to empty”. Which leads to…

Second, empty (“never taking them all the way down to discharge”) has an important distinction here.
Empty in most other cases “nothing remains”. The glass is empty, the jar is empty.
In regards to lithium batteries however, empty could be referred to as the ‘floor’ (or the lowest level you want to arrive at).

The lowest you typically want to drain a lithium battery to is 3.0v (some actually push as low as 2.8v). Many current mod’s firmwares set the lower limit to 3.2v, to allow a slight bit of additional headroom.

At any rate, don’t worry about changing them out until they’re very close to drained, or fully drained.
Unless there’s a problem with the regulation in a particular device, your batteries should not go below 2.8v (which is the “maximum” low voltage point desired).

Personally, over a long time frame, I would suspect you’re actually shortening the lifespan by recharging at half full. But honestly, I doubt you’d notice it unless you tracked such things, or are using an interior battery to start with.

Best practices?
When you get a new mod, put your battery(batteries) in. Use the device until the batteries are drained.
Put it/them on the charger and note the current voltage (before charging starts for any length of time).
Repeat.

After a couple times of doing this in your new mod, you’ll know what it’s “set to stop at” (with regards to what it considers an “empty battery” to be, voltage-wise).

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

@Sprkslfly That absolutely does help. I often notice my battery is mid 3s when I change it, so clearly I’m not allowing them to drain enough before swapping out. I had a feeling that changing them frequently was causing my battery life overall to shorten, just because I’ve been using highly regarded batteries,and they don’t seem to be lasting as long as they should in total life. However, @worm1’s point is totally valid, and I’ve not been considering amps at all with my battery purchases, so it’s possible I’m just using the wrong batteries for me, period, and they’re not performing because they’re a poor fit. Awesome to know. Thx, both of you, especially since I’m going into squonking again, and if memory serves, that’s a bit battery hoggy, in general. lol

6 Likes

Hopefully you will take the time to read information on battery safety and selecting the right for you. With the new craze of squonking the cheapest way to get started is w/ a mechanical where most have no experience w/ when they should.

6 Likes

Should be absolutely no different (apples to apples; ie: dual 18650’s vs dual 18650’s) than other mods. It all depends on the electronics, and the efficiency of the design and/or components chosen! :wink:

Like you’ve (and worm1) mentioned above though, it’s more important to match your batteries to your vaping style (when possible; not as easy sometimes with 21700’s in other words)

If you never vape higher than at 12amp… Then buy the largest mAh, 15a CDR battery you can (of reputable brand).

If you vape no higher than 23a, then look for a 25a CDR battery. And so on. :wink:

6 Likes

The batteries when changed out at less than fully drained can develop a memory. Use them until they are flat they will live longer and give you your money’s worth in the long run…same with cellphones =)

3 Likes

So I’m sort of correct according to this arrival =

2 Likes

They kinda touching on protected cells there tho. Most of ya use a regulated device and cutting off at 3.2 per cell seems to be ideal for the cells. Ive never read any loss of longevity w/ depleting a battery past that, correct me if u have. I show caution using a mech tho since most chargers wont recognize the battery if go below 2.5v.

6 Likes

That is correct for Ni-Ca and Ni-Mh batteries.

Not for Li-ion batteries we vapers tend to use.

Same with phones. The only thing that shortens the life span of Li-ion batteries is the age.

That’s why my one year old batteries hold less charge than my brand new ones (and why your phone battery sucks after two years)

9 Likes

I’ve got a purple one from there a while back. I use a Profile on it. There’s a few things I don’t like about it but I can overlook it for that price! I ordered two more and they’ll be here tommorow. My purple one even came with a 21700 cell.

5 Likes

Battery info-Straight from John Muchow :
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/how-can-we-extend-the-life-of-our-batteries.7584/

5 Likes

I personally find my squonk more difficult to use than just dripping. I loved the idea of squonking initially, but refilling the bottle 3-4 times a day became it’s own pain which is messier than just dripping. Don’t drive often so I have a squonk but found myself just leaving the bottle empty and just dripping instead

5 Likes

These are just 2 examples but there are several brands with easy fill systems for squonk bottles.
5 Likes

I agree with you…to a point! :wink:

You’ll see things dramatically improve (from the convenience/mess aspects) if you get a Dovpo Topside! :wink:

7 Likes

you need one these no muss no fuss take off the atomizer and fill painlessly =)

4 Likes

Easy-Button

4 Likes

A few that I use…

7 Likes

Quite the collection!

I agree with you…to a point! :wink:

You’ll see things dramatically improve (from the convenience/mess aspects) if you get a Dovpo Topside! :wink:
you need one these no muss no fuss take off the atomizer and fill painlessly =)

I think I need to give squonking another shot with another device :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I still enjoy my two Pico Squeeze 2’s and my Topside (single battery). I do have a Fuchai but hardly ever use it. My mech would be the Vandy single. My Pico’s and Topside are used daily without fail. :slight_smile:

6 Likes