Vanilla custard

Continuing the discussion from Same company? bad company? base recipe?:

LordVapor; i have two vanilla custards ( which happens to be my fave) Flavor West and Capella. I did a recipe at ten percent. which i think might be a bit too much. Anywho, the Capella at four weeks is pretty good, it is almost ready. The flavor west on the other hand is… i don’t know if it is not enough, or too much. But it is kinda airy if you will. where as the capalla is heavy, like a custard.Do you have any advise or words of wisdom? I am thinking i should add sugar cookie or caramel or even strawberry. Though i would rather keep it as close to vanilla custard as possible.
Continuing the discussion from Same company? bad company? base recipe?:

hello jojo please forgive, i am still learning the site, but i can not find the page where you organized the flaves.
Quick question, would bannanas foster be doughy or fruity?

You’ll get used to it. :wink:

Cap’s vanilla custard is definitely the go-to custard around here and the one that gets the most use. I don’t have any other custard to compare it to, but FA’s custard is the only other one I hear much about. It’s said to be a lighter, more lemon-y custard.

Links:

2 Likes

What a great moderator you are :wink:

Dan, I have used Cap’s Vanilla Custard, both V1 and V2. V2 has Butric Acid which people say tastes like vomit. I agree, it does have a weird taste to it. But in recipes I don’t mind it that much. Just a little info you may not have read yet.

I have Flavorah Vanilla Custard and I have read it puts all other custards to shame. But it will be steeping for another month because I just mixed with it. I have also read that FA Custard is very good, but I haven’t mixed with it yet either. I just started mixing in October. So I am a bit of a noob myself. I know I may seem like I know what I am saying, but I have just read a lot on here and am just quoting the greats on here. Knowledge - I have some. Experience - not yet.

That being said, because of the long steep times, I couldn’t possibly give you much help with custards. But there are tons of custard recipes here. I suggest you get the ingredients to a couple highly rated ones and see how you like them. In the meantime just based on recommendations from people here, I would pick up FLV Vanilla Custard and do some research and get a batch of that going to compare.

If you like Vanilla, you should also try Shisha Vanilla by Inawera. I have tried it in one of @DarthVapor’s recipes and it is spectacular. I can imagine that along with any custard would be pretty amazing.

3 Likes

Totally forgot I had this. I’m a liar. I have v1 and v2 of Cap’s and don’t really mind either but I prefer v1. I haven’t used Flavorah’s much so I’ll have to look into that. FA is on my list.

Quoting other people’s knowledge is 90% of where my advice comes from. :wink: And I agree that custards really do need a month to steep. I was sure I’d hate custards when I first mixed up a couple. I tried it and hated it. Tried it again a couple weeks later and still hated it. Tried it after a month and was really surprised at how much it had changed and how much I liked it.

3 Likes

…hope you like custard with a bunch of lemon in it. :smirk:

1 Like

It sounds like a great base for a lemon meringue pie or lemon bars or a lemon berry shake. I’m sure I’m not the first to think so. LoL.

2 Likes

I mix using Cap’s V1 and I like it, and I also vape it straight away with no problems but it does get better with time.

I’m sure you are absolutely correct! I was just a little taken aback the first time I used it; just hadn’t done enough research on the FA custard…those were the early days in my flavor buying sprees! :wink: …learned the hard way to do a bunch of reading before buying flavors!

1 Like

I figured out the hard way that Custards taste better after a long steep no matter how you Ultrasonic, vortex mix or do anything else. That British Custard that was missing something? Opened the bottle the other day and said hmmm let’s try it… Delicious! Irony? I changed the recipe because I thought it was missing something and of course lost the original recipe snorts Live, learn then get Depends hahahahha

3 Likes

I have done the same thing. Had a few recipes I have lost because I made changes. Now I adapt instead of edit.

2 Likes

I use FA custard. It’s a custard that doesn’t take away the flavors for me just adds a touch of custard at small amounts (1-3 %). Sometimes I like to switch between cap custard and FA custard on my fruit mixes which gives a change up on flavor profiles. I also find FA custard easier to adjustment when adding a random flavor like clove pepper or cactus. Cap seems to prevent the fun for me when doing that.

I just found it as one of my private recipes on the site LordVapor! I’m going to make a 120 mls of this stick it in the closet for a month LOL. It’s got some bad stuff in it, so I might try and see if I can fix that up for a “cleaner” liquid but I’m keeping this one too :slight_smile: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/358529/British+Custard+

Nah, leave the bad stuff in it. Still a million times better than analogs!

2 Likes

I need a few flavors for that. But I am definitely putting that one on my radar!

1 Like

Let me throw in that I’m vaping this on my nautilus mini tank. I have a playboy vixen subohm tank but I actually prefer my non subohm :slight_smile:

I was looking at that tank. Kinda gimmicky for me though. I really need to get that FW Butterscotch. It has some good reviews.

I really love that flavor … which one was gimmicky hon the playboy vixen or the nautilus mini? My mom is using the playboy vixen and loves it and I’m obviously sold on the nautilus mini. The only real complaint I have on the nautilus mini are the coils. Getting duds has been an issue LOL

The Playboy. Was looking at it on VaporDNA when it first came out.

1 Like

I won that with my Snowwolf and if I liked sub’ohm (it’s still to early for me I think?) It holds a LOT of juice and has a great airflow unfortunately I still have a ways to go to get my lungs back in shape before I can really sub’ohm :slight_smile:

I know in Hic’s notes it said you could use Vienna Cream to take away the “lemony” taste from FA custard?

1 Like