VSO flavors / Best Before buy dates/ Flavrz strength etc

LOL, I’d have to ban a lot of my stash @Mikser. :slight_smile:

I can’t claim to know the “sweet spot” for everyone’s needs/tastes, but I do still run many over 5%. I don’t have issues with flavors that are super concentrated, or weaker, as long as I KNOW what I’m getting into, then I’m prepared.

As mentioned above, solo’ing is ONE thing, and mixing with other flavors is yet ANOTHER. I think the most frustrating thing for me, is if something is BILLED as a Super, and then I have to keep up-mixing it. Not really because of any product flaw, or bad flavoring, but it just costs me time LOL.

6 Likes

@Pastorfuzz that is shocking. How many DIFFERENT flavors are we talking about ?

4 Likes

DM to you.

5 Likes

Thank you Sir.

4 Likes

@Mikser, I am more inclined to believe that the problem comes directly from the source (VSO) because if it was down to NomNomz not mixing them properly then why would @Pastorfuzz have exactly the same issue when he bought his order directly from VSO? This wouldn’t have happened to him if it was just down to NomNomz not mixing the flavours properly. I think that pretty much rules out NomNomz involvement in this issue or at least whittles it down somewhat.

7 Likes

Ok, 5% is fine, but 6% is really too much, right?? Right? Wtf are they thinking…

Just kiddin, yeah, i also have some weak as fuck flavors from the past and those don’t bother me - if from the past (they won’t change them now, right? Those 2015 flavors…), but for new flavors i really prefer that standard 2% (and not 0.2%) sweet spot. Plus that all are used at approx the same amount, not that one flavor should be used at the amount x20 vs the other (like FLV Rich Cinn/Smooth Vanilla at 0.12% vs BB Muffin at 3%+ for example). We DIYers love consistency! SSA and WF rule in this department.

Agree and VSO are pretty good mixers as it seems. They love the company (or should i say gangbang), rather than playing alone. I just tried Rocky’s

that i mixed yesterday and it’s surprisingly rich and just magnificent at 6% only. Well worth to mix if you have flavors. Will make couple of variants of these later (not to make it better, but because i rarely mix the same recipe twice). Thx for sharing another jewel @Rocky02852

7 Likes

I see; i didn’t know that, i thought it’s all related to NN. Then it must be something else. I hope they find the reason because it’s weird that many of us suddenly taste very differently than what we read from others (plus Pastorfuzz tastes 3 year old bottle of blueberry twice as strong as the new one). Hardly waiting for your notes/opinion.

5 Likes

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread @Mikser in a different post of brand new flavors. Go figure. Except I used FA in my example of average usage of .5-2% But hey, SD was mute on that comment as he merrily continues on his 8% reviews.

6 Likes

SD is just reviewing whatever interesting appears on the market and we are thankful to him for doing that. He’s reviewing flavors, not commenting about brands business decisions; that’s the luxury we have, the luxury of bitching :slight_smile: I even think if he was doing that, then the most important part of his work (= describing us how it tastes like) would be damaged; could be lost.

I think at the end it doesn’t matter (to me) if i have to use 2% or 8% of some flavor if it’s ideal for my desired intention; it’s more what i’d LIKE even more (and what average DIYer would like more). Because i am pretty sure that nearly anyone in the DIY community (including SD or WayneWalker or any pro who’s selling their achievements further or any newbie) would rather work with 2% flavors rather than with 5% or 10% flavors (and have 8-12% mixes, not 25-30% mixes) in a year 2023 (if it was tasting the same; it’s some standard in a modern era imo).

8 Likes

Lol, wait, what ?

4 Likes

My comment was in response to that other vendor, and while you appear to pretty much read every thread this could have been lost due to that like bomb. Here it is, if you have any comment.

6 Likes

Thanks for the props @Mikser. As you mentioned, I don’t really have time to get into what MFG is doing what, versus any other MFG, as that’s outside my scope of work for the reviews. AS you said, that’s up to YOU guys. I somewhat remember @big_vape’s comments on FA flavors, and they are stronger, and it’s pretty well known wher their sweet spot is, so I’m not 100% sure on what he was expecting on that front.

As far as the VSO’s, I’m not realy sure what’s going on with them, as my reviews are, and always have been public, unless I’m testing non-public Alphas or Betas, so the rates are as stated, and my thoughts, etc.

Sometimes we, as DIY’es CAN be a fickle bunch. I can think of TONS of conversations wherein people were COMPLETELY against Medicine Flower flavors because of the cost. LOL, because they’re soo strong, you barely have to use any !!!

So, if flavors are too STRONG, it can be an issue, and if they’re too WEAK, it can be an issue. I’m glad I’m reviewing on TASTE, hehe.

5 Likes

Hmmmm @big_vape I never even saw that thread, never got any notifications. I’m already NOT liking the upgrade …

3 Likes

I had a 4-5 post black hole, nothing seen nor liked, BUT, afterwards I did see them. No clue.

Anyway, @big_vape you’re point is FA (and others) are stronger than FLAVRZ from what I gather. Sounds about accurate. Medicine Flower is strong than ALL of them, hehe. Maybe we’re splitting hairs, maybe not. I personally don’t disqualify flavors just for strength, or dilution, as I’m really all about the flavors. If they taste good, and play well with others, that’s good for me. NOW, if there was some obscene amount required, I might choose NOT to deal with that, AND, on the flip side, if something was TOOO strong, THAT might be hard to work with as well, due to needing to diluted all the time.

4 Likes

If your talking about the Raws then it more like 2pct range some are stronger but i cant think of one thats in that .15pct range . The raws are a huge improvement in strength from the original series but the .15 to .5 is a bit ambitious…Like all companies some are stringer than others. I know that Shane never set out to make SC type flaves when he started. Shane and I both had many discussiins about this which is what i would like to think steered him to go to the raws and extremes.

7 Likes

Great, fantastic even. Sounds about accurate. As always the proof is in the pudding as they say. :wink:

6 Likes

@big_vape, and I think @Psycho_316, consistency WOULD make things a lot easier. TBH, I’ve had FAR more issues with very strong flavors, than weak flavors. FLV Alpine Strawberry comes to mind. Having to dilute, and dilute again, made using it a PITA.|

6 Likes

I think thats the thing bud. There is no consistency which is sold. And because taste is subjective based on each persons taste buds and equipment we really never get a true perspective of what it is until we try it ourselves. But im not interested in high % flavors as there is too much work involved getting the recipe right. And i dont need to eventually be at 50/50 because i need 30-40% flavoring. Not what im after

7 Likes

Agree, ultras are not user friendly, neither extreme is, 0.1% or 10%. The industry knows this, that’s why they have settled down at around 2% some time ago.

Noone in DIY really wants to work with ultras, where every 0.1% can make or brake the mix and where you need special tools to use it properly (yes, even the most hardcore MF fans would much rather buy/work with 2% MF instead of 0.2%).

6 Likes

As i have played with mf it is quite easy to work with. You know you will never need more then .6% of it. You could easily dilute it so you could use it a higher % but whats the point. Yes id prefer to be at 2-3% for each primary flavor but i dont think its ever going to be there. This is why you use multiple brands. And as disposable and pods become more widely used these companies will adapt to these weaker flavors to us because thats where the money is. Diy could be a distant memory in 5-10 years. I dont think it will be big as it was. Its dying now because the ease of access of other choices. My buddy i mix for is slowly moving to disposable as they are more discreet and the extremely high %’s and sweetness. And its the same to a few other who use to mix but are now getting away from it. We are the last generation of diy. I guarantee it. Its just the sad truth of it.

6 Likes