Watch your debit at gas pumps

Today i went to place an order and my card was denied…I tried again and denied…So I call and the computer tells me " we cant give info in card due tonits starus" ok my hearts pounding im freaking do i call bank …After an hour and a half I get transferred to the fraud dept they ask me did you try to order this and this and this and this , I say no to each one and then the ask did you use your Cars at this Shell gas station YEP I did…Fraud lady says We have good and bad news Good News we stopped the orders and none went though , bad thing we are freezing your bank and it will take 7 to 10 days to get issued new cards , bank account all situated etc…I say well hiw did they do this she say it was probavly a skimmer at the gas station …Im like what huh a skimmer so I go look it up and my MIND IS BLOWN …I call the gas station they dont care so I let police know what happened and said the fraud dept feels it was a skimmer tbe cop didnt give a shit and I doubt they checked…

Moral of story ??? These crooks know what they are doing and if my bank didnt do their job I would be out 3800$ of shit I didnt order and never heard of it today …SO I will never put my card in a gas pump again ill walk in and The ATM machines are getting hit as well …she say ATM and Gas Stations are the worst

Protect Yourself Get some exercise and walk into gas station to pay

13 Likes

Damn bro, that sucks. I heard about those skimmers and now just pay cash when I get gas. I am at the point I just pay cash everywhere except online of course. Heard too many horror stories about identity theft.

9 Likes

Bro it blew my mind seriously I still have anxiety…Its crazy right

7 Likes

It happened to a business I co-owned about 7 years ago. Someone had checks made out for the company and was cashing checks to the tune of about $13k in total. The bank rectified the mess but it still took some time. Still something that worries me to this day.

7 Likes

Skimmer’s have been around a long time. If you want to get the attention of the gas station download an app called gas buddy. The app reports gas prices. It has a rating system and comments section for each station. That should get the station’s attention.
Most gas station’s around me have gotten smart to skimmer’s. They place tape seals over the seams of the credit card receiver. If the seals are broken beware.

11 Likes

For the lingest time i refused to use my bank card or any card online I even mention it here on elr years ago that until recently I used Pre Paid cards for my online shopping this is why …

I have never heard of a skimmer until today

8 Likes

Welcome to 2021 @fidalgo_vapes, fucking skimmers, gotta love’m. We’ve had bouts of that out here, BUT, if you’re lucky, most times you can spot one. I see many people (out here) that grip and tug on the card port on gas pumps, ATM machines, to make sure there is not a skimmer stuck on top of the original card reader/port.

Glad your bank hooked you up.

Let the buyer (card inserter) beware…

7 Likes

Yeah they’re just little magnetic strips too so can be pretty much shoved in anywhere they wanna farm people’s cards.

There’s also RFID gadgets that can rip card details from several feet away too so there’s no need to even be swiping a card against anything.

Can’t recall what they’re called, but they’re the reason for those anti-magnetic and RF ‘shielded’ wallets they have now.

8 Likes

That to me is the worst part of this story. They should care about their customers and their reputation, and they should have responded differently to you. Would have been nice to hear that they were sorry and maybe get a blurb about looking into better security protocols, etc. That would have been better than a shoulder shrug and rolled eyes; such an attitude doesn’t tend to dissuade the skimmers from continuing to ply their trade. Shame. Nice to hear that the fraud department was ready and able to nip it in the bud and you’re not out any damages other then time and inconvenience.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Guido’s Scrapbook

Yep, I keep my card in one as does everybody in my immediate family.

6 Likes

It sucks when this happens, but it is now a part of life. I’ve had my identity stolen and bank account drained 3 times. Fortunately, my bank alerted me and gave me a temporary line of credit until they straightened it out. And each time, they got it straightened out. Very grateful and, now, even more careful how and where I use my cards.

8 Likes

Yes my friend, you have been skimmed! We don’t use our cards at any gas stations anymore… Thank God the bank was there to help… Because the law doesn’t care about petty thieves … BUT…on the other end… They’ll stop mail deliveries from the postal service and delivery services… Because we choose to vape instead smoke… Unbelievable times we live in… :v:

11 Likes

i pay cash for nearly everything.

5 Likes

If you look in my wallet right now I don’t think you would find $10.00. I live in the cashless society. If I go out to eat I pay with my debit card (Unprotected). If I need something at the store I use my credit card (Protected). Keep all my receipts. Checks are direct deposit or I make deposit by taking a picture of front and back of check and deposit electronically. Haven’t been in a bank in for years.
We live in a cashless society. Only thing that the government has done right in years.

8 Likes

how do you pay for hookers ? :laughing:

5 Likes

They pay me. And I take credit cards.

8 Likes

I am debated right now bc I have things I want to order…I have to wait 7 to 10 dsys hopefully one of my cards will come soonner

7 Likes

:rofl: nice

5 Likes

Very much agreed @Guido_Possum. Dockers for the win…

https://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Mens-Bifold-Leather-Wallet/dp/B07RZM96XD

5 Likes