What books do you like to read?

@Kenar I’ve read a couple of Jo Nesbo’s books and enjoyed them. There are some outstanding Scandinavian authors who have written some fine detective series. I think the first one I read was Wallander by Henning Mankel. Enjoyed them so much I was willing to try some other Scandinavian authors. Enjoy !!

3 Likes

As I am revisiting one of my favourite reads to ensure that I am mindful of all the rules, I thought I’d see if this thread is worthy of a resurrection.

It being Spy Wednesday, the day when Judas made the deal for 30 pieces of silver, it reminded me of my favourite piracy and privateering text:

This is moment in QI which made me aware of it on first airing and I instantly ordered two copies - It is always important to have a lending copy so your are never without one. I learnt that the hard way with all the copies of Swan’s Practical English Usage which vanished over the years.

3 Likes

STAR WARS Legends Canon not the new Canon (Disney). I have all of the Star Wars Books (from the beginning 5,000 years before A New Hope). None of the jacked up Disney storyline except Rogue one that was somewhat based on the original storyline.

4 Likes

Which ones appeal to you? I fondly remember the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Horse’s Dark Empire: The only thing I liked in The Last Jedi was Luke and the first order AT-AT.

2 Likes

Yes I totally agree the Thrawn Trilogy is at the top of my favs. Along with the 2 books from Hand of Thrawn. The Jedi Academy trilogy and the Black Fleet Trilogy.

2 Likes

All great ones. We’ll have to see what happens to the EU while Disney tries to sell Lucasfilm.

2 Likes

I have heard rumors that Disney is gonna do a series based on Thrawn. I hope not because their story line with Ben Solo is completely different then the canon where Han And Leia have the twins Jacen and Jaina.

2 Likes

The page vs. the screen.

2 Likes

I doubt that that will ever happen under Iger: He is on a quest to cut costs and staff. Lucasfilm is in the firing line to be sold as he believes, and quite rightly, that Marvel has more potential and can recover from phase 4.

2 Likes

Naked Lunch

I had to toss that one. It was way too close to my own junky hallucinations. His cockroaches were my worms.
It made my skin crawl.

I rather read Trainspotting. I thought Irvine Welsh’s The
Sex Life of Siamese Twins was hilarious.

1 Like

Then Kafka should be avoided.

3 Likes

I had no problems reading the metamorphosis. I’m fine with one guy changing into a beetle.
A whole lot of slithering centipedes and other such creatures is a little too much.

3 Likes

They’ve never bothered me, other than the times eels and snakes insist on moving after death: I am infamously open when it comes to nourishment.

3 Likes

Not a Klingon then?

3 Likes

Oddly, I actually recognised a few words in Klingon there. I can only assume that I gained this knowledge from a series from a fair few moons ago:

4 Likes

I suggest Conversational Klingon
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Conversational-Marc-Okrand/dp/0671797395

What do you mean accepted? It is a language!

3 Likes

Life after death? I just heard a story a man told about his two cats who were close companions. When it was time for one of them to go (at home euthanasia), the moment it’s heart stopped beating it’s companion looked straight up in the air and darted off as if chasing something. People have always said that cats can see things we can’t.

4 Likes

I came up on this book while browsing and immediately thought of two women I know who ride and love horses. @Lynda_Marie you were one of those women. Maybe you would enjoy this book. I definitely want to read it myself.

4 Likes

I live in a haunted house and can contest to ex human and feline encounters…

5 Likes

Don’t forget about the yard @Rocky02852

6 Likes