WHAT Has Made You Smile Today? (III)

Ya got that right. We’ve been having 90F weather but with humidity levels in the 90+% range. It’s like walking around in your own private steam room and the door is locked. You passed out once? Dayum!

The good news is I just came back from dropping off the electronics and a young employee was at the door and his eyes popped out when he saw the PowerMac G4. He followed me to the counter continuing to stare at the Mac. I commented that he seemed fascinated by it and he said he had never seen anything like it before! :rofl:

"Graphite" Power Mac G4

6 Likes

I know some people collect the older Macs, They practically worship them.

Yeah, I was doing some yard work during my first summer in the desert. It was a high heat/high humidity day and every once in awhile I’d stand next to the sprinkler to cool off. I was bending over to pick up a palm frond and that’s all I remember. Had to go to the ER and get an IV to re-hydrate. Pretty scary. Now I don’t do jackshit on high heat/humidity days. It’s a lot easier to succumb to it once you already have. Plus its a great excuse to stay inside and watch TV with a cold beer.

6 Likes

Did it still work @muth ? The ‘Power’ chips were somewhat early RISC chips and was a joint Apple-IBM-Motorola venture/cooperation. Before that Macs used straight Motorola 68000 processors (I worked at Motorola during this time). I can remember re-homing SIMS memory upgrades off our factory floor to upgrade Mac Se/SE30’s.

I still have a Powerbook G4 that runs, and a MacPro (Intel xeon chip) that still runs (looks similar to yours but all silver) :+1:

6 Likes

Yes. The only use it got was installing some musical applications and then after that I had already moved on to other music software/laptop and never used it again. I stepped away from music long enough for everything to become obsolete. Doesn’t take long. Point is I wasn’t going to use it anymore and didn’t need it. Between it’s size and weight, it had become an albatross. I searched around for pricing and maybe I could have gotten a couple hundred but I wasn’t into packing it off and I didn’t want to wait for a local to come buy it. Sounds like you maybe had a Graphite? I think mine was called Quicksilver.

7 Likes

This made me smile. My first Mac was an LC-II (68030). Moved up to another ‘Pizza Box’ Mac with the Performa 460 (68040). Loved the Performa & System 7. Still have a bunch of software for the pre- System X macs. All the old Macs finally got recycled. Had 3 iMacs, & a Quadra. Like Muth, they weren’t going to be used any longer, and didn’t want the kids to have to deal with getting rid of them, when that time came.

Presently on a Late 2012 Mac mini. Absolutely love this thing. Runs as good as it did when I bought it in 2013. Will probably pick up another mini when the time comes. 30 years of Macs, and never used any, nada, zip, virus protection. Not a bad record.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m trying to do my “Swedish Death Cleaning” ASAP because I know it’s going to take forever. I’m targeting the big heavy stuff first.

4 Likes

If I knew that I would have contacted you. Maybe someone would have wanted it but they would have had to be willing to get it shipped. Know any musicians? I have a sought after amp from the mid ‘80s’. That’s another heavy item and older musicians aren’t buying old amps anymore because of it. There’s whole new lines of very small and lightweight amps now.

5 Likes

Being at Motorola, their first foray into RISC chips was the 88000. We used them internally in Unix boxes, and that was their ‘buy’ into the Power line.
I even had the Macs first laptop an LCII and a Quadra. BIt weird and I couldn’t upgrade RAM. None have died, and I did manage to put a larger HD in my iMac.

Same here, good stuff. Actually the best.

4 Likes

Now this made me smile! I have the same amp but it’s not the little, 9" speaker Fender Princeton, it’s a tweed Fender Reverb with the original 12" Jensen speaker in it. And mine is in MUCH better condition.

1959 Vintage Fender Princeton - $4,000

1959 Vintage Fender Princeton 1

Only, it has so much sentimental value, Idk if I could ever sell it, lol. I’d have to be on my death bed.

Correction: My amp is a Fender Deluxe (pre-reverb)

6 Likes

My son is a guitar player. I’ll ask if he’d be interested. Let me know what you’re asking for it.

5 Likes

First ask him if he’s interested in a 1983 Roland Jazz chorus 120 in excellent condition. He might not even be interested in a solid state amp. This was the sound of the 80s in rock and jazz.

PS: and because he is your son, of course I’d give him a great deal :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll be sure to mention it when he gets off work, and let you know.

4 Likes

Only TWO bottles in the queue this morning. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I had one of those, swapped it with someone for a windows PC. It worked like a horse for many years, until my old cat pissed all over it.

There’s a leafcutter bee making a nest in the ventilation gap on the outside of my kitchen door.
I have never heard of leafcutter bees before. I saw one a few days ago wriggling inside while holding a piece of leaf.
I was stoned so I thought I might just see things that aren’t there. Yesterday I saw it getting in there with a piece of leaf again.
It was too fast to get a picture of it. Shame. Good old internet has a few though.

th-1265597574

th-3657013166

6 Likes

LFP’s are becoming mainstream. Safer for your backup, backups.

5 Likes

:rofl: So sorry, dear.
That LCB is news to me as well. I thought bees lived and bred inside of a hive environment. This looks more like bird behavior :confused:

5 Likes

Honeybees live in hives as do bumblebees. Most bees species are actually solitary.
There are about 20.000 known species of bees.

5 Likes

I FINALLY treated myself to a large enough tattoo that covers up about 75% of the scars I got from separating 2 dogs during a horrible dog fight about 12 years ago. It is so nice not to have to look at the ugly ugly scars anymore. I still have a little more to go and I still have scars from my other arm that I am debating whether to cover up or not.

9 Likes

I’m happy you got a tat that you like but so sorry about the fight and scarring…geez. You’re a brave and caring person. Glad you’re okay from all that. Would you be willing to show us your tattoo when it’s done? I’d love to see it.

6 Likes

Wow, thank you for that information. I learned something today.

5 Likes