WHAT Has Made You Smile Today? (III)

I miss the days when the British sitcoms came on late at night here on PBS. My favorite thing to do while tucked into bed. That brought a smile to me face.

2 Likes

I miss Benny Hill

5 Likes

I better work on a cloud with them on to share. I do get Mrs Squirrel to watch a few and she loves Mind Your Language. But, we both spent years teaching ESL.

2 Likes

Loved BH

2 Likes

It’s so good to hear about a human who understands the feline killing machine and be willing and skillful enough to create a connection. I’m sure he felt the same way about you :smile_cat:

1 Like

I always preferred The Two Ronnie’s from that era: lots of cunning linguistics:

Edit: Added the correct video.

2 Likes

Of course you do, he was a dirty old man :rofl:

4 Likes

He did, though I still feel shame for being out of the country when he died: when I returned, I apologised at his grave in the family gardens - I prefer to be there to ensure a good death.

That definitely hints at my attitude regarding euthanasia.

3 Likes

We didn’t get all of them. I remember watching: Are You Being Served?,
Black Adder, Fawlty towers, Keeping Up Appearances. There was one that I can’t remember the name but it was about broke aristocrats who had to move into the servant’s quarters while they rented out their mansion to bougie families.

2 Likes

And what is that exactly? My guy, Nikko, just turned 17 and has serious health problems but is not in pain and is still enjoying his life. My wish is that he passes peacefully here at home but wishes don’t always come true. I can’t even think about it.

3 Likes

That sounds like To The Manor Born:

I always prefer its sister - The Good Life:

3 Likes

Yes, that was it. We didn’t get The Good Life.

2 Likes

Oh it is a classic about a man who quits his government job and tries to be self-sufficient. It was definitely ahead of its time.

3 Likes

@SquirrelSmash Can you recommend about five British sitcoms that didn’t air in the US? If there’s any current ones you think worth watching that I can view, that would be appreciated too. Thx

2 Likes

I’ll add that to my list.

2 Likes

Some could assume that the Cox defence reflects my views: administering medication which alleviates suffering but coincidentally results in the patient dying.

4 Likes

I’ll ponder it in the morning and see what I can track down. A fun quest and I’ll probably be reminded of something the Mrs. hasn’t seen as yet.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the Cox Defense but I can search it.

2 Likes

It is the main euthanasia defence in the UK: an easy way to remove all liability. Sadly, it has been more strictly applied after Harold Shipman tried to envoke it for over 300 deaths - someone always fucks-up a good thing.

3 Likes

You totally get me muth :rofl:
Thanks!

3 Likes