What would you do if? ( flavor subs)

Quick question . What would you do if someone was using

Dragon Fruit Inw @1% and you had TPA dragon fruit ???

and

Lime INW @.25% and you had FLV lime ??

i know the recipe will change but i dont want to buy the INW lime or the INW DF … Any suggestions ty

2 Likes

This may help How I Sub A Flavor (or Flavour)
Gl bud!

6 Likes

i thought i seen something like this b4 ty , im alo wondering if the DF are even worth changing , im not much of a DF guy , but i would think the INW and TPA are wayyy different

2 Likes

Not sure of the taste actually only use it in mixes where its merely support/additive type but i did sub the two when i was out of one or the other.

5 Likes

thats great to know , ill do the math in the Morning , my sons bday party is tmrw then back to packing and moving , oh boy i cant wait until this move is over . Have a great night my friend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would have to see the recipie. But I would guess
That lime inw would be a bit more natural and would start with fa. But if you only had flv, 0.1-0.25% would be a good start.

As for dragonfruit. Oddly enough I have only used it to boost strawberries. But if memory serves me correctly inw version is a bit stronger and would start at 1.25. The problem is that dragon fruit can take over a mix just like lime.

5 Likes

its notcharlesmansons guava lime let me post it …

3 Likes

@Chrispdx

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/496489/Guava-Lime%20Candy#

i heard about this recipe today or the other day , shyndo or concrete river mentioned it so i looked it up and ive gotta try it, but dont have the INW DF or the INW lime , i do have FA cold pressed and the flv what do you think ??? and only have the TPA DF

ill probably adapt this anyway using the sweet guava from cap bc when i heard about it my first thought was YUM sweet guava and lime sounds great , but i do want to try the original as close as i could possibly get

5 Likes

INW pitaya DF is less tart than TFA and has a very slight floral exhale to me, which I enjoy. TFA is has more presence and can take over the the mix. I use TFA 2-3% depending where it sits in the recipe but might want to start at 1.5 if you want just a hint.

6 Likes

Don’t know if this will help but I prefer the INW with citrus and tart fruits to soften the edges and TFA with sweet fruits to add and an edge.

5 Likes

I think my sub recommendations would be pretty good.

Again I think fa lime would be better. But if only lime flv I would say 0.10 and dragon fruit tpa at 0.5%.

5 Likes

ahh ha so i may like the tpa better since im not a floral fan , i have been considering trying some flavors with slight floral hints ty for your notes all of these things help when adapting another persons recipe , which i rarely do but the Guava Lime really sounds interesting

3 Likes

I would only use one Dragon Fruit probably the TPA the FLV Lime I personally use TPA Key Lime But agree with Worm1 that these are supporting flavor notes I myself would maybe add some coconut, and maybe some marshmallow to fluff it up a little maybe some Pineapple actually that sounds pretty good , I just might mix that up myself right now ! :grin::grin:

5 Likes

I will ve adding a cream some time , ill actually be using the sweet guava as well , but i do want to try this as close to the original as possible , i only have the TPA dragon fruit so have to use that in place of the INW Ive never been big on DF so never felt a reason to get another lol

4 Likes

Not purposely confusing things but out of curiosity i read that lime inw strength has lowered so if its and old mix u may have to up the % if u decide to buy some inw

4 Likes

I’m going to try this without the mm and coconut. Will have to sub the lime, maybe persian lime VTA since I’m dropping the sweetener. Maybe a kiss of quince jelly WF as well.

4 Likes

It’s good to see you finding the holes in this mix and you are adjusting it to your preferences.

There are some harsh rind-y notes to this mix and many have complained about the throat hit.

It just looks out-of-balance to me. JMO, but your thoughts on adding cream will add a softer note to help absorb the impact of those harsher flavors… and/or a good sweetener will help with the harshness some users mentioned in the comments section.

4 Likes

ya more than anything the Guava and Lime together is what got me curious … i love some guava and lately ive been on a semi citrus kick …
Have you personally tried this mix ???

3 Likes

Nope… It’s not a profile that appeals to me. It’s just I have some experience with some of the flavors and I can see why some mixers says it’s too harsh.

2 Likes

I personally use (TFA) Dragon Fruit as well, but not for the actual fruit taste. As others I use it in some of my recipes to boost a other fruit, or/and blend certain flavors together, where the outcome would differ with any other DF.

And the reason for that is that TFA DF contains triethyl citrate, and it’s not just helpful with fruits.

I have not tried INW but reviews say that this is the actual taste of Dragon fruit, while tfa is apparently not.

I do assume, without that I tested that mix, that the author wanted to keep the distinctive layers. If you are going to use tfa, most likely in my opinion (based on my experience with that flavor) will blend/bind the layers together, which could lead to a better result of muddled mess, which still could be good lol.

Inw lime is supposed to fade less than the others, again I’ve not tested it, I mostly use FA Florida key lime and double the percentage, by the time it has steeped (mostly bakeries) this has faded so much, that it’s barely there anymore.

If you use a sub. since its a fruit only recipe (sorry didn’t look at the link since I can’t open it in the office) I would say just increase the percentage a tiny bit and see how it holds up or tastes like.

2 Likes