Wismec Noisy Cricket

The wismec Noisy Cricket is a very popular mod for a good reason.It is the cheapest series mod available and it works well.I would never recommend it to anyone as a first mod , it really is for experienced users only.Hybrid mods have additional safety rules that must be followed.
It really irritates me when I see something like this listed for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISMEC-NOISY-CRICKET-GEEKVAPE-GRIFFIN-RTA-vape-limitless-mod-series-/331753407600?hash=item4d3e0b4470:g:tfkAAOSwYIhWlkrw
Both the Noisy Cricket and the Griffin are hot sellers right now but people please don’t use a tank on a hybrid mod! If you have never used a hybrid mod before ,PLEASE find all the info you can before using it.Hopefully you have a B&M store nearby that have a knowledgeable staff.
I know I am preaching to the choir ,sorry rant over.

5 Likes

Actually, I would like to hear more. I consider myself an experienced user, but I’m a man thats always ready to learn(more). I know I could look it up, but you seem ready to teach. Wanna explain hybrid mods to me(and anybody/everybody willing to learn)? I actually posed the question in another thread about using this Noisy Cricket with a tank and was quickly told not to join the two.
So if you are willing to explain, then I would be wiling to learn.

3 Likes

Me too. Always more room in the brain for info. :yum:

3 Likes

I am by no means an expert on anything much less hybrid mods.The reason you shouldn’t use a tank on a hybrid mod is because of the 510 pin.A hybrid connection does not use spring loaded contacts in the 510 where your atomizer screws on.A hybrid connection uses the atty’s 510 to make contact with the top of the battery.Some RTA’s have an adjustable 510 that you can use on a hybrid mod but some have a spring loaded 510 pin that you can’t.If a 510 pin pushes up and allows the battery to hit the threads it will cause a dead short.The dead short on a series mod will cause complete battery venting and most likely explosion.
Information about grinding off a couple of threads on a tank to make it work is out there if someone wishes to do it.Of course I have no problem if someone wishes to use a tank on a hybrid.I do have a problem when they are being sold together with no description stating how they can be used together safely.
Here is a link to more discussion about the subject.

3 Likes

Thank ya, brother…good info, good read, good link…still more to be learned.
I think the final cap to this topic would be a video SHOWING exactly what needs to be learned. If I ever decide to make this leap, I will delve further and find this said vid.
Thanks again, brother!

2 Likes

With any mod you need to fallow safe practice. With hybrid or any mech mod there isn’t any built in safty. But the noisy cricket does have some. They put plastic tubs in each side so the battery never will tuotch the case, i have used many tanks on mech mods and hybrid mods. But it isn’t good practice to do so. Wother its a tank or rda ,you always have to be careful you don’t mess up your battery. If you over tightin any atty you can crush the top and short out your battery. The biggest problem with most shops or on line. They will sale you anythibg if you got the money. And any hybrid or mech mod is not for the beginer.

2 Likes

Hopefully someone with more knowledge and better writing skills than I will further add to this discussion.
I like the N.C. and I use it daily and I inspect it daily.I guess we should also add batteries into this discussion .We all hear the warnings about inspecting your batteries.It is for a good reason as a torn or ripped cover on a battery could also cause a short.I also inspect the ends of the batteries , I am looking for dents as well as discoloration.If the ends are dented this could cause the outside thread of the atomizer to make contact before the 510 pin.I am looking for discoloration on the ends as well.The electrical energy stored in a battery will jump to make contact , if the metal is not making a good connection to the battery this arc jumping will make a mark on the top of the battery.If you find these marks on any battery discard and inspect your atomizer for damage as well.
Thank you @sillyrabbit as I am typing this I see you explaining this as well.
I also clean my N.C. regularly.The cricket has no provisions for juice .Juice in time will get in the mod and make the threads seem rough when installing the atomizer plate as well as the fire button.The best cleaning method I have found is to break it down to three pieces.I put the fire button , atomizer plate and the box itself in a Ultra sonic cleaner for five minutes.This helps to make a better connection and will help prevent the aluminum threads from seizing up.

4 Likes

For me,i do the same thing. If a battery show any sign of naglect or damage. I don’t use them no more. Battery safety is not out out there enogh. The price of new batteries is way cheaper then a trip to the hospital for sure.

2 Likes

I can see why you would put this topic under the “Health and Advocacy” thread! :scream:

If folks don’t know what they are doing, baaaaaaaad things can happen! :japanese_goblin:

I’ve been using a Noisy Cricket (hereafter NC) with a Velocity RDA for a while now; loving it, by the way, since I’ve been a mech mod user for years and years now. The instant clouds are a joy!

The NC is definitely not for the novice vaper. Want to use one? Great. Do the research on how best NOT to blow yourself to kingdom come. :wink:

With the right atomizer (dripper w/ a well protruding center post pin) and the proper build (kanthal w/ a coil above .75 ohms) and you’re good to go. Yes, stick to kanthal wire…the resistance on other wire is way too low.

I’ve found that the build which suits me is something between 1.25 and 1.5 ohms. The firing of the atomizer is not quite as volatile as it is with a lower ohm coil; it proves to be a pleasant vape experience.

Wicking is important as well. This thing plows through some juice, due to the intense amount of voltage powering the coil.

In short, it’s a great setup for folks that like a lot of vape in a big fat hurry! I’m not going to write a novel on the NC 'cause there’s plenty of info out there already. Read up on the setup…educate yourself on best practices for this mod and all will be good. :grinning:

4 Likes

Kanthal? SS won’t do it?

1 Like

This isn’t good. Must watch.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve found kanthal the easiest wire with which to work on a NC setup. If you can build a coil with SS that’ll get you within the proper ohm setting for this mod, go for it. I tried a number of different SS coils, however, I was never successful in getting the coil down to a proper ohm reading without the coil being way too large to house in the Velocity.

I’m all ears if someone out there has a SS coil build that reads above 1.25 ohms and isn’t an inch wide. :wink:

2 Likes

I was trying to find another video but I am having no luck.It was a video about a week old.The guy had batteries vent in a NC.He was using a twisted mess rda and still not still not sure what happened.I would guess either a battery was bad or more than likely he didn’t have his rda on tight.The video was from Appalachian Vape I think but I am still looking.
I have to use kanthal as well on my NC.I like a warmer vape but I still find my sweet spot in the .625 -.750 ohm range.It is important to note that I am more of a one second blast type of toker.If you like the 2 second or longer hits I strongly suggest a higher ohm build.Even at .750 it is a warm vape.

1 Like

Jaybo said he made this mod to run around 0.7. 0.5 ohms.

2 Likes

Good info

3 Likes

Exactly! :grinning: I like a slow 4 to 6 second lung inhale; thus the higher ohm build. Anything below a 1 ohm build for me is a bit too volatile of a coil.

I specifically turned a bud of mine on to the NC because he needed to be able to take that 1 to 2 second hit in his work environment; that’s all the time he had before the haters might catch him vaping indoors at his workplace. :sunglasses: He was very happy with the NC and a Velocity… Ninja Vapers rejoice! :grinning:

3 Likes

I sent that ebay seller a message and I think he is separating the tank and the Cricket now. He seemed unknowledgable about the dangers of that little mod with a tank on it. So he is a good seller. You guys should go buy his items now when he relists :wink:

Seriously :smiley:

5 Likes

I decided to try a different wire for a change.I had some Nichrome 80 28 ga laying around.I tried a 13 wrap contact coil on a 3.0 mandrel.It came out to 1.03 ohms , I must admit that it makes for a nice vape.I am in no way trying to promote the use of Nickel wire as I don’t think it is the safest by any stretch.It does make for a nice change of pace. Thanks to you and @Kinnikinnick I never would have even tried a coil at that resistance.
@LordVapor Thank you for informing the seller , maybe he will change his ad and maybe not but at least you did try to help someone out!

4 Likes

Right after a long original run with kanthal, when I was first building, my go to wire was Nichrome 80. I think I still have a spool or two of 28ga laying around somewhere. I enjoyed the fact it booted up much faster than kanthal on my regular ole single battery mech mods setups! :grinning:

I’m running a Clapton coil, with 6 wrap 28/32 kanthal at the moment with great success. :+1:

2 Likes