You too can help find a cure/treatment for Coronavirus

Cool - The every computation cycle helps :slight_smile:

Have you not had any work units at all on your GPUs? I can sometimes go 20 hours without a work unit - the logs just show:

No WUs available for this configuration

ā€¦and then suddenly some GPU-work units show up for me to crunch.

I think there might even be further requirements for the GPU-units as wellā€¦

Both of those GPUs you have, were pretty decent ones, when they were new! :smiley:

2 Likes

We were heavy into that one.

1 Like

Well I figured it out and this thread could use a much needed bump.

You were assuming I was smart enough to have at least configured my GPU in Configure>Slots>+Add>GPU>Save but I showed you lol

This old PC with a FX 6300 six core and a GTX 960 went from around 6k points a day to around 200k! I should be celebrating 1 million points today!

3 Likes

Awesome! Did you remember to request a passkey? That will give you bonus points (Quick Return Bonus) :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, and we are currently ranked 3476 out of 252,937 for teams! :smiley: It would be cool if there were any gamers here that would put their GPUs to work too :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes I used the same passkey on both PCs.

4 Likes

Download and install the Folding@Home client here: https://foldingathome.org/iamoneinamillion/ - when it asks you for a team number, input this: 261398 - also to get extra points you can request a passkey here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey - set the client to work ā€œWhen idleā€ - you can experiment with ā€œWhile I workā€, but you might find it annoying.

Even if you donā€™t have a monster machine you can help.

Right now our team is in the top 2,800 (out of >253,000) - so weā€™re doing pretty good! Join the ELR team with ID: 261398 :smiley:

4 Likes

#2478 out of 253,158 :smiley: We need more people! :smiley:

4 Likes

How much room does it need to run from my HDD? Iā€™ll see if I can clear spots on all 4 of mine to run it in parallel. I only have an I5 6th gen processor. What kind of load does it put on a pc?
I guess Iā€™m going to have to lock a HDD down or detach it while this app runs. I have confidential business documents on my pc.

2 Likes

Not sure how much disk space it takes - The work units themselves are from 5-50 MB and the results that are uploaded are from 10-100 MB - and it can have one result while downloading a new work unit - so Iā€™d say anywhere from 20-300 MB for the data I would say - and the program itself is under 100 MB I think.

Itā€™s rough on your system though, which is why most will want to run it ā€œWhen idleā€ (the default) - I run a lot ā€œWhile I workā€ these days, with a window open, because my room gets WARM when it runs :wink:

Also the software loves gaming graphics cards - those can really crunch some numbers!

3 Likes

It passed through my eithernet. I have a UPS. The only saving grace is I use raid 6. itā€™s not NAS but I donā€™t run a server. I just need loss prevention from a HDD failure.

2 Likes

If you have problems with power surges potentially damaging your system, perhaps it would be an idea to use an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) :slight_smile: I use a device like this for my NAS and cable modem:

You can even get smaller, cheaper ones - but be sure it is rated for the power that your PC can pull ā€¦

3 Likes

Mineā€™s a simple ES 550. nothing grand anymore. Itā€™s the data on my HDDā€™s thatā€™s important.

3 Likes

you have a 650W power supply?!?!?! and pull that many watts out of it??? no wonder your room gets hot!!!

2 Likes

The UPS is somewhere else, where my NAS and cable modem and some switches are :slight_smile: If a power cut/surge happens, then it can really cause problems for the NAS (with RAID etc) ā€¦

I donā€™t use a UPS for my machine, since power surges/cuts arenā€™t that big of a problem hereā€¦ And itā€™s easier to deal with, since my main drives are SSDs (not in a RAID)ā€¦

The PSU on my machine is around that, I think though - it gets toasty in the office - and I am not even running the folding-client on my CPU - only on my GPU :joy:

3 Likes

I havenā€™t studied NAS that much. Itā€™s the new thing but so far I havenā€™t heard anything that wakes me up about it. I may have missed the big deal about it though. I have thought about SSDā€™s but theyā€™re pricey. At least to me they are.

2 Likes

NAS is just networked cheap storage - I use it for photos, movies, backup etc :slight_smile:

Yep, SSDs are not cheap, especially not the NVMe-kind - but itā€™s my work machine, so they get to pay for it
:rofl:

3 Likes

ahā€¦ ok. SATAā€™s kinda cheap lol. I didnā€™t know NAS was cheaper. Itā€™s not like the old SCSI days. I wish they made sustained read\writes like the SCSIā€™s did. So much stuff you canā€™t get anymore. Different architecture but SATA is pretty much EIDE performance.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was not clear. A NAS is just a mini-server that uses SATA-drives (or other types) - and they arenā€™t even that cheap, but the spinning storage is fairly cheap (the drives themselves)ā€¦ A NAS is just practical, if you need to share some storage or make backups of more than one machine, or have a movie library :slight_smile:

This is a example of a NAS (albeit a pricey one):

3 Likes

ok, so it should be rather similar to my raid 6 expansion card and 4 HDDS? the expansion card handles all the read\writes. It reads like mad but writes about the same as a normal HDD does.

2 Likes