Flavor Factor ~ VW Mod vs Mech Mod

So, here’s something I’ve been pondering. Having been a mech mod user forever (never had a VW device until recently), I have noticed the “full range” of flavor I get with a mech mod. From when the battery is hot off the charger, til it’s time for a new battery, the nuances from all the different flavors in my juice seem to make an appearance. It is like riding a flavor elevator, as the voltage loss occurs with the battery. For me, it’s rather enjoyable, flavor-wise.

For those of you who use a VW mod all the time, here is my question: Do you vary your wattage during vaping a particular juice? Or do you “set it and forget it”, concerning the wattage. It seems to me, if the user never changes the wattage on the mod, the user is missing out on the different flavors in the juice, as I experience with a mech mod.

I know coils do have their part in the flavor factor; perhaps we’ll get to coils in another thread.

5 Likes

I usually cycle my wattages till I find the sweet spot for build and juice…some juices I prefer a cooler vape and other a warm dense vape .

3 Likes

I’m pretty much on point with @MixedUp1. Once I find that spot I don’t see a need to vary from that sweet spot. To me that’s the advantage of VV\VW, having the option to adjust it til it’s right.

If you have a juice that’s terrible at high or low wattage what’s your options.

2 Likes

And keep it till batts r dead

1 Like

I completely and totally understand what you mean, Jimk. It is one of the reasons i had been so reluctant to buy a VW device. A the range of wattage you go through as you vape the batt voltage down makes each draw different. Consistency is awesome, in some things, but not in my vape. The subtle variations in heat and flavor, as i vape my batt down, make each draw something to look forward, a surprise note pops with every couple hits.

Flavor elevator, so beautifully and accurately put

My VW is on the way and im a little scared whether or not i am going to like it. The flavor elevator, as you put it, is what i noticed first when i purchased my first mech. Ive used my SVD a handful of time since getting my first mech, i was hoping it was a lack of power but i once again remember.

What VV/VW mod do you have and how often do you use it?

2 Likes

Well @Ken_O_Where, funny you should ask about my VW mod! Have you been following the Vapor Flask V3 thread? My first VW mod crapped out on me in 5 days! I got to sort of “like” it while it worked for a while. I guess what was different about it was the consistent rate and amount of vapor that occurred when I pushed the fire button. Two 18650 batteries will last a good long time when you’re vaping at 18 to 28 watts.

I can’t really be a good judge of a VW mod yet, cause I haven’t been able to see all the advantages yet… I only saw 5 days worth! On Monday, I’ll be getting a Sigelei 150 watt box mod. I really don’t need more than 50 watts, I’d say, but it was selling at a good price. I hope it lasts longer than the last VW mod I bought!

What’s coming in vape mail for you?

2 Likes

If a diminishing battery producing less heat and therefore different flavor is your thing, then a VW mod would seem to me to be perfect for you. Rather than spinning the flavor wheel to see what comes next, you can always dial it up or down in small or large increments and get instant results as to how cooler or hotter temps will affect the flavor. Sounds to me more of a nostalgia going on rather than pure enjoyment…but hey, to each their own. I remember for years I smoked a pipe and there were some tobaccos that would just blow my mind with little nuances of flavor…especially as the bowl was getting near the end and almost completely ash. Oh if only THAT could be made into a juice! But in my estimation vaping doesn’t even come close to that experience.

3 Likes

I was able to experiment with that for 5 days and will look forward to a fresh start on Monday! I will admit, there is a bit of nostalgia with the old mech mod happening here. As I have said before, I’ve never been a first adopter type; drag me kicking and screaming is more like it! But who knows, perhaps after I vape on a VW mod for a while, I’ll get to enjoy the experimentation of tweeking the wattage to find all the flavors in my juice, as it happens automatically with my mech mod.

I’m looking forward to it and think it’s time to move forward a bit in my vaping world.

4 Likes

I think that Sig is gonna start a mech mod garage sale at your house Jim !! Your gonna be buying new pants with bigger pockets haha

2 Likes

Yup! I’ve already been talking to a friend of mine that does custom leather work about a commissioned leather holster for my VFv3 and Sig 150. I hate crap in my pockets, but don’t mind if it’s on my belt. I keep trying to get him to focus on the vaping world, however, when he can snag $800 to $1200 for a custom shoulder bag
or purse, the vaping world kinda takes the back burner.

1 Like

Wow he must do good work ! Don’t forget pics when you get it ! Hooefully you can get yourflask up and going again soon . I’m in love with mine …it really is a great mod when it is working properly .

2 Likes

Ive got a Dovpo 50w mini coming. Single batt device. I went with 50w because it is around what i vape at now with a mech @ .3ohms, if you consider voltage drop. Ive got a couple unregulated Dovpo boxes that we love so i went with them again.

3 Likes

I prefer consistency.

2 Likes

I just put my goblin on my mech mod and got the worst dry hit of my life. Switched it to my VV/VW device and dialed it back and boom instant bliss. Mech Mods are not good for every Tank/RDA/Build.

2 Likes

My wife just got her first wicked brutal dry hit from my tobh last night…I laughed …and laughed …she wasn’t happy

2 Likes

…that was after the 8th pull in 30 seconds, right? lol

When I was doing the genesis atomizers with SS mesh and a whopping 32 ga kanthal wrapped 3 or 4 times, I remember getting that “holy crap my throats on fire” dry hit when I was super low on juice in the tank or I hadn’t tilted the atomizer far back enough for the juice to flow properly! I wanted to throw whatever set up I had in my hand across the room and through a window, it torched my throat so bad!

Ah, times! (Not good times, just times)

4 Likes

Well, now that i have a decent regulated mod ill give my first impressions. Vaping on a regulated mod is completely different, ive already lost some facial hair…

First thing i did was to setup my new device, grabbed a readied PV @ .3ohms dual coil with 26g 316L. Filled up the PV and jacked it up to 50w. POOOF! Phuking fire! flame shot out of my atty and thats where i lost my hair, lol. There was plenty of juice, im not sure why it happened but it hasnt happened since. Its a very consistent vape, im not sure i like that to be honest. Now my juice is the same juice through the entire battery. Those minor nuances i miss for sure.

I dont know if maybe it is the excitement or what but i went through a fully charged Sammy 25r in about an hour. Even using one single mech, all day, this doesnt happen to me. This device cuts out at 3.7v it seems, i can turn down the wattage but i see no point, im used to charging at 3.7v anyways.

I love the regulated box but i still prefer my mechs for overall flavor. Those inconsistencies are what make mechs my favorite, im not vaping a single juice but a different juice throughout the battery life. This is going to take some getting used to.

2 Likes

I hear ya! No flames from the drip tip yet, but I’m loving my Sig 150w and being able to up/down wattage for the flavor; takes some effort with some mixes, but I’m not packing away my mech mods quite yet! Creature of habit, I am.

1 Like

What wattages do you find yourself at most? To be honest i thought 50w would be more than enough yet i am surprised at how quickly i was able to vape at 50w. If i end up loving this thing i may need to make one more purchase.

I didnt need that patch of hair anyways, summer will be upon us soon so its shaving time, a little sooner than i expected, hehe.

3 Likes

Tell the truth, haven’t been above about 30w yet! My coils are tiny! 28ga 6 to 8 wrap nano coils. Just the way I roll. Anything higher than 28w with those just about kills me. I find it way to hot and fiery. So, I’ve got a mod with 122w to spare! Need to learn some other coiling methods, I guess?

2 Likes