New database error discussion thread

Got the email for this recipe this morning. Better late than never. Looks good!

3 Likes

Good to hear, and thank you @rcleven.

4 Likes

I just got another one. I’ve been receiving notifications from recipes posted back in September . :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yep, been getting them and all the follow up replies for several days now, hehe.

4 Likes

Thanks @Lynda_Marie, and @KC111.

4 Likes

In my flavor stash, I once had what I believe was an incorrect flavor Brand Abbreviation.

My entry was
Cereal 27 (CAP)

Looking at the Flavor list now, I see
Cereal 27 (Cap)

I know that when entering flavors you go with the naming nomenclature that has the most entries regardless if you agree with the name or not. I don’t know if I just made a mistake entering that flavor or if it’s one that got changed during database cleanup.

However, at some point in time my entry disappeared from my stash and all my recipes that used it. It somehow became 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand)

If you look at 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) and look at the recipes that use it there are 59+ pages of recipes that use it.

I don’t know if it’s just Cereal 27 ( CAP) that changed to 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) or if the name 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) was just given to any and all flavors that were entered incorrectly at the time.

I only figured out what it was for my recipe because I had old screen shots and one was a recipe that now has 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) in the name.

Now I’m trying to figure out what %1 * (Invalid flavor name or brand) has replaced in my flavor stash?

I’m not complaining or trying to bitch about the tireless work some have put into flavor database management. I sincerely thank any and all who have taken on the task - past, present, and future.:bowing_man:

5 Likes

The invalid names were just a dumping ground for well, what was supposed to be just invalid flavors but some good one got tossed in too. If you have any backups they may help tracking down the replaced flavor. You didnt make a mistake, we did.

Is it one you posted in the What are you mixing thread? The flavor might still be in it if you did.

4 Likes

Work on the DB has been halted. In the couple weeks that it has been stopped at least a thousand new crap flavors have been added back. So while TZ cleaned up around 100k bad names it seems it wont take long until it is just as shitty as before.

Thank you @TorturedZen, amazing job.

7 Likes

And it will only be a matter of time before the complaints about that start up again…There is no winning.

“100k bad names it seems it wont take long until it is just as shitty as before.”

8 Likes

Just an FYI…Any flavor names that began with 01, 02, %1 etc were flagged as Invalid because there were either no brands indicated or they were simply unrecognizable. If I recall, a sizable chunk of them were in other languages like Chinese, Russian, Korean as well. A concerted effort was made by utilizing Google Translator, but it became massively tedious and I ended up just being overwhelmed due to the sheer numbers.

6 Likes

Man there were so many, i didnt even notice until Gregor pointed it out when he submitted some, insane number of squiggly flavors.

5 Likes

I’ll take the complaining and haters over 100K of bad flavor names any day.

9 Likes

** Indeed!

5 Likes

Same exact thing happened to me yesterday with this same flavor. I’m really beginning to dislike this whole merge process. I have an invalid cake flavor, but when you click notes it’s saying it’s a one shot pineapple upside down cake. I’ve never purchased anything like that. No idea what it is.

5 Likes

Cereal 27 (Capella) was 02 “invalid “ I think this was the first flavor that had that came up invalid. Also a handful of The Flavor Smiths came up invalid.

4 Likes

A handful of the new line The Flavor Smiths got the axe. Some are completely gone, like coconut jam.

And, there are 4 pages of recipes for this. Granted for 2023 this was a complete deep dive, BUT, notes are valuable to some people. This flavor is still being sold at DIYVS. Every time I enter notes, I enter the name, & the flavor house.

5 Likes

Holy smokes! THANK YOU! That’s what some of my invalids are, Gremberry or Gremlin, I just about love you right now lmao :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I forgot about Imp Dust, I actually like it as a single flavor. You made my morning! :raised_hands::dancer::dash:

3 Likes

Damned glad to hear it @Lynda_Marie.

I don’t have them all, BUT …

I do have a couple .....
4 Likes

As I said before, I am painfully aware of the the Cereal 27 issue as well as some of the others. If you want accountability ok here I am, flame away. But if you’re looking for answers as to why all that happened I honestly can’t tell you because I do not know.

The database merge process is, to my knowledge the only method for dealing with the tens of thousands of wonky names…but it is also a very unforgiving mechanism if something goes awry. I have heard talk of Lars exploring a way to maybe reverse some of the mishaps, so there’s that.

But I do know this…flavor name entries and new flavor submissions by any user must be shut off. We have all known this as truth for years now. Once that happens there will be no need for a merge process (except those names that are pre-existing). So again, until Lars deploys a re-coded Recipe Calculator we have to live with what God and Lars gives us.

8 Likes

Here is a sample of what would qualify for a merge.
This is an actual recipe from yesterday.

No action has been taken, but can you see what the problem would be if this is merged into Cherry (Invalid/ No Brand Name)??

5 Likes