New database error discussion thread

2 Likes

Hey, at least youā€™ve got something local. Thatā€™s all that matters. Save a copy, keep a copy.

2 Likes

Backed up to my external hard drive, too.

2 Likes

IF only I had a fraction of your energy, can you at least send some my way?

2 Likes

Hehe, weā€™ll see, itā€™s going to catch up with me sooner or later.

@KC111 I think in the beginning, it WAS a CHORE, tedious, and time consuming, BUT ā€¦
once you get a system down, especially when it becomes muscle memory-ish, it becomes FAR easier, FASTER, and less tedious.

Now, you can always go TO FAR into the rabbit hole, so I donā€™t know if Iā€™m there or not, BUT, I will say, that once things started going sideways, I decided to push up that alt website, JUST in case. I donā€™t know if ANY of us knows how this WILL turn out, SO, I prefer to assume the worst, not because I LIKE TO, but that way, Iā€™m covered, JUST IN CASE shit goes sideways.

Itā€™s my work, and I want to protect it.

4 Likes

Quite frankly the fact that youā€™re dumping into Open Office, is GREAT, and might just be, all you need to do.

2 Likes

Just having Open Office Org isnā€™t enough, I enjoy looking through otherā€™s comments on ELR. But letā€™s be real, I donā€™t SFT, I just look at other folkā€™s recipes and mix it up. That is all I do, I am not a creator. Knowing what quantities I have of a flavor that I need is probably my most important tidbit. Now that I am weeding out a lot of my flavors (because I am fine tuning my profile), it is becoming less important for me to experiment. Now I need to tell that to my OCD brain, to stop spending and hoarding and just stick with the flavors to mix recipes that I know I love. I love this group, it is a true wealth of information with great people, but it does do a lot of damage to my pocketbook, lol.
I donā€™t blame you for wanting to protect your work, that is why you are world or nationally renowned. Because of your research, I finally have a freezer dedicated to my nicotine. Because of your research, I now know how to store my nicotine investment better. Looking through notes on a particular flavor has become more leisure reading for me because no matter how you present fish to me, whether it is steamed, baked, nuked, raw, covered with cheese, etc, I just canā€™t eat it. Same with certain flavors and profiles.
Iā€™m off to eat now, have a blessed night!

6 Likes

Well I appreciate your candor, and your kind words, thank you @KC111. You are right, itā€™s a good group. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And to think I first ā€œmetā€ you when I was pushing you to try Mafia Mango, lol. Been a wild ride, eh?

2 Likes

Anyone can discuss this matter . It is the reason there is an open thread on it. How it is fixed will be handled by Lars.

7 Likes

Excuse me but English is not my native language.
I meant this:

4 Likes

Yesā€¦Fixing the problems isnt going to be an open discussion. That doesnt mean people cant discuss it here.

3 Likes

Got the email for this recipe this morning. Better late than never. Looks good!

3 Likes

Good to hear, and thank you @rcleven.

4 Likes

I just got another one. Iā€™ve been receiving notifications from recipes posted back in September . :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yep, been getting them and all the follow up replies for several days now, hehe.

4 Likes

Thanks @Lynda_Marie, and @KC111.

4 Likes

In my flavor stash, I once had what I believe was an incorrect flavor Brand Abbreviation.

My entry was
Cereal 27 (CAP)

Looking at the Flavor list now, I see
Cereal 27 (Cap)

I know that when entering flavors you go with the naming nomenclature that has the most entries regardless if you agree with the name or not. I donā€™t know if I just made a mistake entering that flavor or if itā€™s one that got changed during database cleanup.

However, at some point in time my entry disappeared from my stash and all my recipes that used it. It somehow became 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand)

If you look at 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) and look at the recipes that use it there are 59+ pages of recipes that use it.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just Cereal 27 ( CAP) that changed to 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) or if the name 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) was just given to any and all flavors that were entered incorrectly at the time.

I only figured out what it was for my recipe because I had old screen shots and one was a recipe that now has 02 (Invalid Name or Unknown Brand) in the name.

Now Iā€™m trying to figure out what %1 * (Invalid flavor name or brand) has replaced in my flavor stash?

Iā€™m not complaining or trying to bitch about the tireless work some have put into flavor database management. I sincerely thank any and all who have taken on the task - past, present, and future.:bowing_man:

5 Likes

The invalid names were just a dumping ground for well, what was supposed to be just invalid flavors but some good one got tossed in too. If you have any backups they may help tracking down the replaced flavor. You didnt make a mistake, we did.

Is it one you posted in the What are you mixing thread? The flavor might still be in it if you did.

4 Likes

Work on the DB has been halted. In the couple weeks that it has been stopped at least a thousand new crap flavors have been added back. So while TZ cleaned up around 100k bad names it seems it wont take long until it is just as shitty as before.

Thank you @TorturedZen, amazing job.

7 Likes