Coffee Vape From Beans

I love mine too! :heart_eyes:

@SthrnMixer ~ This is an excellent cup of coffee as well! And when your done, you can use it to filter your NET creations! Win! Win! :grinning:

5 Likes

Aeropress with an able stainless disk and the best grinder you can afford. I highly recommend the OE Lido 2, I travel with this setup and a LIDO 3…I have much better commercial grinders, but the OE hand grinders are great. I’ll take a $20 brewer and $200 grinder any day of the week. Follow the aeropress directions at sweetmarias.com.

People don’t realize the difference a good grind makes. I can explain why, but won’t here…my lido 3 is always out on loan unless I am traveling just to show people the difference. The grind is the key once you have good beans. How do you know you have good beans? Look at the bag; good coffee has a roast date. If the roast is over a month ago, do not buy. I roast, have daily for over a decade…Coffee is best within 2 weeks 4 if sealed in the refrigerator. Grind immediately before brewing.

6 Likes

buuump.

I posted some Vaporbase coffee extraction results in that thread but the overall knowledge gained was very interesting. PDO is a very good tool/solvent for extracting coffee, but more importantly was the results from cold and hot extraction. I had mentioned the results were weak but after further testing I can report the hot tap water extraction (USC @ hot tap water temp) did result in what could be called a concetrate.

Actually it was a bit too organic and a wick ruining mess. I have to believe there were oils to blame. There would have to be some lab technique applied like centrifuging and filtering to get a vapable product, and maybe a final freeze to separate/eliminate oils. It also was a flavor that dominated anything mixed with it, so I was not happy with my preliminary results with the heated extraction …although with care and equipment it could be made to work.

My refrigerated extraction was totally different. My description in the VaporBase thread was “nose-in-bag” and the resulting liquid was relatively uncolored. The flavor was exciting and maybe not describable as a cup of brewed coffee …it was better. If you were trying to get something to mix with creams and hazelnut etc this would likely miss the mark …but on it’s own it was a treat. Unfortunately to move forward with my test (again VaporBase) I heated all my test subjects and it was gone.

I think I may make another 120 today and put it in the fridge for several weeks. Recommend just using your default diluent (70%VG/30%PG?) and maybe even add the nic (debating) I believe the low temp extraction captured only the top-note aromatics, and while it totally missed the body you would expect in a cup of coffee, what it did capture was amazing. Also I have to add I am pretty sure I was vaping some caffeine too, so be aware late night testing could disrupt your sleep :wink:

SO for today? I previously added like 3-4 beans lightly cracked for a 5 ml (original) test and it was likely saturated. It also had some particulate matter I would like to avoid …so no cracking beans. For a 120? that would be 24 X 3->4 I think I will add like 50 whole beans to a 120ml bottle of 70/30 VG->PG …no nic.

If you coarse ground coffee and extracted with the ability to centrifuge and filter you could probably do so with way less coffee beans. I will try and get any loose fluffy pieces off my beans so they don’t end up in my juice and 50 beans should be more than enough …talk to you around Halloween :wink:

Hey it’s been awhile …whatchu got in the closet?! I know I know if this turns out well why are we giving up the secret sauce? {{{ELR}}} heh are we spilling the beans?

4 Likes

I know this is old. Worth a good read though. @Kinnikinnick what were your final notes?

In short… for me, the process was a dud.

In long… I didn’t take it upon myself a “do over”, ‘cause this was about the time (Sept ‘16) I started moving towards using 100% NET with mixes. I moved away from anything which interfered with the tobacco flavor; totally divorced myself from synthetic flavor concentrates or extractions of any kind, other than tobacco… Can’t say I regret my actions.

5 Likes

Sure… I have one of those Haha :grinning:

I wound up with a pretty good tasting espresso coffee vape. I am not really into ‘flavors’ I am just a 100% MTL Tobacco NET type, but chemistry and extractions are kind of ‘my thing’.

I think it turned out much like the flavor profile that I get in a ‘pulled shot’ that I drink every morning from a my semi-pro machines. I have been roasting my own beans and using semi-pro machines for many years.

Here is what I tried, this is just a first attempt, so give me some feedback and I can travel further down the road using your directions for a guidepost: I bet those of you that know what they are doing could flavor this with some sort of ‘cream’, '& ‘sweetener’ and it might be very tasty. I, personally, know nothing about nor do I have all those ‘flavors’ that everyone on this forum works with. I am just an old cigar head. Tobacco is all I know. If you want to see my vaping world then click here. more about centrifuges? click here

• Beans: My own Full City+ espresso roast from mostly Brazilian dry processed

• Grind: 10grams ground in my professional espresso grinder.

• Maceration: 100mls PG in Ultra Sonic at 125F for 2 intervals of 30 mins each ttl 1 hour

• Filter: Centifuge 4,000RPM 60 minutes, which separated out 3 Specific Gravity layers.

• Testing: I just pulled the clear portion with a pipette and dropped it directly on a single coil Hadaly at 15watts for a MTL vape test. No steeping or games, just as it came from the centrifuge tube.

PM me if you want a sample.

DARN! The software on this forum is not showing the full image.
PLEASE CLICK on the image to get your computer screen to show you the whole image !!!

1 Like

VERY cool! I have been tinkering this year with several infusions and extractions. Coffee, Jasmine green tea, toasted Oak cubes… but I am hesitant to propose techniques of my haphazard (emphasis on hazard) homebrew attempts. Without spectrographic analysis, I am wary of what I am unknowingly vaping …I mean what is actually being extracted/infused? It makes me reluctant to share. Your technique looks much more scientific …in terms of isolating/separating. So do you get any caffeine buzz offa that? :wink: When you do this you can see how basic it can be to just extract some coffee, but the question in my mind is why no one seems to be able to make a Commercial coffee flav worth a damn (In others opinions).

heh “Infusions” you ask? Put the warmed coffee/PG under pressure …then quickly release …repeat several times.

I’m guessing it’s two fold. Cost prohibitive (due to the beans/roasting/etc) and I’d bet that the majority of the flavor lies in the oils (which we all consider a no-no). Just a guess though.

I do know that if anyone (commercial flavoring entity) does manage to “crack the code”, it’ll be a joyous day for many!

I have yet to hear anything about MF coffee though… That would be my one hope (offhand) since they do things so differently, and accuracy seems to be pretty much a synonymous term in conjuction with MF. But coffee is pretty far down my list ATM.

1 Like

I haven’t tried MF Coffee yet but I’ve read that it is well received. I’ve been using Wonder Flavor’s Brazilian Coffee and that has been working quite well for me.

2 Likes

Coffee has more than a few toxicology issues. But artificial coffee substitutes have much more! Actually you would be better off vaping your own extracts made from real beans as I did above vrs any commercial vape product, as those products are probably formulated from “coffee substitutes” to get around the perishable nature of natural coffee flavor, which is highly reactive and degrades’ fast after extraction from a roasted bean.

I would want to run any “commercial coffee vape juice” through a MS before I vaped it! You would be looking for carcinogenic agents like acrylamide: here from the US NIH TOXNET Database is this:
“Due to the high acrylamide levels demonstrated in coffee substitutes, recommended amounts should be defined and manufacturers should be obliged to reduce such levels in these products.”

Before you vape anything you might want to search the database here:.

5 Likes

Yes I get a good buzz. The chemistry of that is probably pretty interesting, as caffeine is only soluble by weight at 0.77 in PG… That is a very low rate, so the caffeine must be entering into the PG liquid though different mechanisms. -I think I know how that is occurring, but will spare everyone six pages of description :grinning:

as to the other part of your question about the sad state of affairs on commercial coffee vape juice see my post above. There is a perishability problem. And anyway, commercial vape concentrate suppliers like what we have access to are not “making” anything anyway. Their business model is that of a high precision commercial mixer, just like someone in the business of making house paint. They buy bulk raw pure chemicals and then mix them. The last thing in the world they are interested in is solving difficult problems like coffee extractions. If they can not buy it as a ’ ready to go reagent precursor’ then they are not interested in the least. If you want to see exactly what goes on behind the scenes at a business that makes vape concentrates I highly recommend pbasardos tour of FA. -Part 1 and Part II

5 Likes

That seems like a pretty bold statement, unless you have a point of reference to support it…

Definitely some interesting (and new to me) information in your post though, and I appreciate it!

BTW, I’m a purist. There IS NO substitute for real coffee IMO. :wink: :laughing:

yes I do,… see my post above about the FA tour.

I’ll have to go back and watch those!
I don’t remember “triggering on” anything even remotely close to coffee in those. (And that’s something that usually grabs my attention like a bird dog lol)

But, then again, I’ve slept since then. Strong chance I’ve forgotten. sigh

Anyways, appreciate your insights! :wink:

Yeah @Sprkslfly maybe just focus on drinking an actual cuppa whilst vaping for the best experience. Capturing the volatiles in coffee that drive our fascination is probably harder that capturing Aliens in a Mason Jar …oh sorry wrong forum

2 Likes

Thank you. What an informative post…again. :+1:

Exactly. They’re brewing a cup …running it through the Spec …then comparing the list of 10,000 compounds found in a cup o’ roasted beans to the current list of chemical inventory and synthesizing an approximate coffee flavor …some much better than others. The topic re: Medicine Flower is they are branded as the company that actually/exclusively performs flavor extractions and therefore the most realistic/natural. I’m not the guy to ask about that, and the above is more of an impression from reading here (ELR) than actual fact.

1 Like

Great subject matter that I will comply with, I changed into REALLY into coffee 15 or so years ago, almost bought a storefront and had a backer that turned into willing to front the entire fee, unfortunately to find the different types of coffee the storefront wouldn’t release the records for my backer to check so the entire deal went south. I actually have about 6 exact lbs of a blend I made up and cherished in whole beans inside the deep freezer (subsequent to my nic), is probably exciting to play with a few.

3 Likes

Bumping this to see if anyone has any success?

3 Likes

I have tried years ago… but never did find a way to remove the oils completely.
I lacked the equipment.

2 Likes