Cherry Troubles

I am relatively new to mixing, and having a bit of trouble with Cherry flavorings. Hoping someone here can give me some guidance.
Is there a magic drop of something or another that will make cherry flavoring vape actually taste like cherry flavoring?
I have tried four different Cherry flavors, and cannot get rid of this nasty, manufactured, plastic-like chemical taste in them.
Started with a simple Cherry Vanilla recipe, and after a couple of iterations, felt the balance was right, but that the cherry was just a little off-tasting, and chemical.
Cherry (FA)-2.5%, Vanilla Custard (TPA)-2.5%, French Vanilla (CAP)-1.5%, Caramel (CAP)-1%.
So I went through the cherries here at ELR, chose three to order, mixed each as single flavor 5ml tests, at roughly average SF percentages, steeped them 4-5 days, and tested.
Every one of them is nasty, and I hope y’all can tell me why. It’s weird, too, that a drop on the finger from each bottle not only tastes good, but tastes like they are described, but when vaped… plastic (for lack of a better description). Here are the flavors:
Black Cherry (TPA) – mixed at 6%
Maraschino Cherry (FW) – mixed at 5%
Cherry Crush (FW) – mixed at 8%
Also made a combo of Crush (4%) and Black (2%).
Vaped them in two different RDAs with similar builds (Twisted Messes and Tsunami with 24ga KAL 3mm singles), varied wattages (17-27) and airflows, and switched to vaping a different recipe from a tank between trials to reset the palate.
I’ve diluted all of these by half, and am waiting for them to settle in.
Sorry for the long post, but figured you guys would ask :]
Thanks in advance for any clarifications or solutions you can offer.

1 Like

I can try my best to help. When you say they taste plastic, would you say it leaves like a feeling in your mouth or can you describe it better? I may be able to give you a few pointers on tweaks to mask a taste you are getting.

2 Likes

Thank you. It is difficult to describe. It’s like, manufactured. Not food-like at all. Like something is overpowering the flavors, which exist faintly in the background. FYI, I have vaped other juices on these same builds (with different wicks, of course) without any issue.

1 Like

Good luck with this…if anyone can help it’s @Walt_RealFlavors I suspect. :wink:

4 Likes

toss the marashino cherry , it will ruin your cherry experiance all together it is one of the worst flaves ive ever come across , try using multiple cherries to create a good cherry taste , but tossbthe marachino for sure

1 Like

just make a good cherry please lmao this may be harder than it sounds lol

2 Likes

I like our wild cherry flavor but I add a bit of blueberry to make it umm… Taste more like fresh fruit haha. It is hard to explain but a small amount I think helps bring the flavor out.

7 Likes

i get it adding DF to SB etc , i havent used your flaves yet soon though , im trying to deplete my cap , fw , tpa then ill start venturing i to brands like yours

1 Like

No worries mate, I am always bouncing around. Try to help where I can… If not I will fail trying!

4 Likes

im excited about the reviews im seeing though plus your activity here in the forum i admire it , i dont see cap or fw or fa having any activity here so i do respect you for that and will be spending my money on your product soon

3 Likes

So this is not uncommon :]
I saw a guy talking about layering, and carrying around single-flavors and a notebook, familiarizing yourself with them and all.
No way I could do that with these trials. haha

1 Like

A good, simple starting point for cherry would be FW Cherry Crush.

Very sweet, straightforward cherry. Not real, but also does NOT taste like cough medicine.

It smells and tastes like these: http://ep.yimg.com/ay/oryans/brachs-sour-cherry-jel-balls-2.jpg

2 Likes

Best of luck for making new cherry troubles. If are you want to help about your making this, then you can visit online and get more idea for making your recipes.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The best cherry I’ve had is on the no-fly list now and is no longer being produced due to capric triglyceride…Flavorah Bing Cherry. Tasted just like a sweet cherry with no medicine or bitter/tart notes. It does make the tank kinda oily when I use it though and that is kinda gross.

5 Likes

i had luck with Cherry only when i mixed it with coconut (which sort of “morphed” the Cherry flavor profile from what it was into a nicer thing, coconut does that for me) - then added some Peach for a hit.
then 1% Marshmallow to blend all 3 together.
Cherry was still the main flavor but this mix made it more acceptable - in fact it was a nice mix. then cream and sweetener up to your preference. hope this trick helps.

3 Likes

FA 6%! Too much. Try 1% or less. TFA marachino 0.5% using EM at 0.5% may help mask the oddness of this flavor. Cherry Crush no experience i would start at 3%. Better or good cherry flavors available are:
VZ sweet cherry 0.5-1%
INW cherry and INW cherries 1% or less
TFA cherry extract 1-3%
WG cherry (1 drop)

1 Like

Two of the most difficult flavors to master have to be cherry or chocolate…

You’ve locked horns with a real beast here…

I will definitely second what @Pentine said about FW Cherry Crush. This is one of the 3 best cherry flavors I’ve found so far. Currently, I have tested 13 different cherry flavors from different vendors…

The other 2, in my top 3 are…

Flavorah Bing Cherry, but it has been discontinued as @JoJo previously mentioned.

FW Wild Cherry, this one is the best I’ve found, 5/5 stars.
Here’s a copy & paste of my review:
OOoooh! I believe this is the cherry I’ve been looking for!
Smooth (non-acidic) natural cherry, very tasty!
There are NO medicinal, earthy, green or sharp acid notes to this at all, I REALLY like this one.
Not very sweet but the “Cherry” flavor is definitely on point.
Solo tested this @ 8% and it’s tasty but feels like I could easily go higher

4% - 6% in a mix should be good

If I were to rank these three cherries, it would be…
1 - Wild Cherry FW
2 - Bing Cherry FLV
3 - Cherry Crush FW

I’m still working on a mix but Wild Cherry will be my lead component. My cherry tests kinda got sidelined for a bit here though. FLV recently released like 100+ new flavors that I’ve been working on and I’ve been doing some vanilla tests as well… The good news is, I’m getting some amazing results in blueberries, vanilla and I think I may have finally cracked the eggnog equation.

5 Likes

Wow! Really appreciate all of the replies. Wish I would have had this information before stepping into the rabbit hole, which thankfully, I only have one foot in.
Plan to put the great advice to use, add some more cherries, give Cherry Crush FW further study, stop leaning on the average single flavor percentages so much, and even try the coconut.
(Would love to learn more about chocolate, too, but maybe that’s for another day)

1 Like

I have high hopes for Rainier Cherry FLV, but yeah cherry is the most difficult fruit IMHO. I am a big fan of adding Quince TPA to difficult fruits. It makes things a little fruitier, but quince is not such an identifiable flavor so it stays in the background. . .cactus inw or cherimoya yc inw might also help. . .I think I have some RF Cherry I havent opened yet. If I do I’ll mix up a single this weekend along with the Rainier Cherry. . .I know @Amy2 has worked with the latter and the discontinued bing cherry too, so calling the flavor queen. . .

Oh yeah, cherry blossom tpa. . .pretty good stuff.

4 Likes

What is the question sorry did read the whole thread. Ah I see you’re talking about Rainier Cherry FLV and Cherry being as difficult as it always has and will be. :smile:

@vaug Cherries my friend will drive you up the wall and back again …crazy. They are difficult to work w/ and honestly I have walked away a couples times and will probably do it again.

Rainier Cherry is a nice flavor but it won’t give you a sweet cherry it’s raw and it has a wild taste to it needs plenty of steeping and is strong. I tried it at 4% Stand alone and it was way too much it was chemically and gross. Dropped it down by half and found the flavor to be more tolerable I would feel comfortable putting it in a mix in the under 2% range depending on how potent you want it to be.

To me it came off wild w/ some nutty like amaretto notes in there but that debatable. Tart yes, crisp yes almost a acidic taste when used too high. Tread lightly and let it steep is my best advice.

1 Like